Parallels Tools keeps reinstalling on Resume...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gefahrmaus, Aug 24, 2007.

1. gefahrmaus

gefahrmaus Bit poster

I looked around for similar reports, but nothing immediately popped as "oh, that's the same thing..."

Here's how a typical day starts for me: Having logged out of my Mac the previous evening with Parallels suspending my Win XP guest OS, I log back in to my Mac. I click on Parallels and Win XP will begin to resume. At this point, I'm invariably presented with an InstallShield to reinstall Parallel Tools.

Can anyone elaborate on the reasons, fixes, or workarounds?

Many thanks,
    Tim

2. gefahrmaus

gefahrmaus Bit poster

Found it. Seems my install ISO was still mounted. Unmounted, all better.

3. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Tools keeps installing

I'm having the same issue described here i.e. Parallels wants to install the Parallel Tools every time I boot into Windows.

I've checked my configuration and neither the CD or Floppy options are pointing to anything, so I know that the fix that worked for someone else here isn't working for me.

I'm using a Boot Camp partition and unfortunately have noticed a significant slowdown when using the Virtual Machine instead of booting directly from Boot Camp.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

jimcoyle,
    when you shut down your bootcamped VM, Parallels Desktop uninstalls Parallels Tools from your VM. Parallels Tools are like a set of drivers needed to run Windows in virtualization mode. You cannot use these drivers in Boot Camp, because Boot Camp needs its own drivers. That is why it is necessary to uninstall Parallels Tools before shut down of the VM. And that is why Parallels Tools are being installed every time you start the VM.

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Thanks

Thank you Stacy...it all makes sense to me now.

Would that reinstallation of the tools each time account for a slowdown? I've noticed a VERY significant slowdown when running Windows via Parallels vs via Boot Camp.

Would Windows actually run faster if I didn't use a Boot Camp partition?

Thanks.

Jim

6. jfmusic

jfmusic Bit poster

I have the same issue running a non-bootcamp image...

Any sugestions?

Thanks
    Jay