Constant CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Chris Gilpin, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Chris Gilpin

Chris Gilpin Bit poster

Hey everybody. I just downloaded Parallels today to try it out. I am using a MacBook Core Duo 2ghz, 1gig Ram.

From Activity Monitor (OSX) I noticed that Parallels is taking up a consistent 30-35% of my CPU all the time when it is running, even if there are no Windows applications open. I opened up Task Manager (XP SP2) and it shows that there are no proccesses that are taking up a significant amount of CPU, so what is the deal?

-Chris

[​IMG]

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

When you look below your Windows Task Manager you'll see :

"CPU USAGE 3%"

Greetings

3. varscsak

varscsak Bit poster

Yeah, I have the same problem...it's my only gripe about 3.0 so far.

4. Chris Gilpin

Chris Gilpin Bit poster

jackybe67, that's exactly my point. Activity Monitor is showing that the Parallels app is taking up 30 something percent, but Windows Task Manager is not showing that Windows is doing anything processor intensive. So why is Parallels taking up so much CPU?

5. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

It's your mac that has to do all the work......

Do you have a problem running parallels?

I see that you have 1 gb ram installed on your mac, how much did you install on the windows side?

6. DJ-GROBE

DJ-GROBE Member

Same problem here, intensive usage, i have 2.33 core 2 duo, 2gb ram, mbp, all work ok, but the macbook pro work very very heat when run paralleles,

With same setup paralalles make high cpu usage, with same setup vmware fusion just use 7% of cpu !!!
    I love paralleles, but really want see same cpu usage on parallels.

7. varscsak

varscsak Bit poster

On version 2.5 my MBP takes up about 13-15% CPU when Windows is idle. Version 3.0 takes 30-35% CPU on my Mac Pro Xeon when Windows is idle.

8. DJ-GROBE

DJ-GROBE Member

Its a lot of cpu usage!

I think virtual processor on paralleles, need some feature like "VIRTUAL SPEED STEP"
    When detect low cpu usage, should make virtual CPU down the clocck :)
    Its just and idea, dont knwo if paralles create virtual processor, or something like that.

9. podxtking

podxtking Bit poster

yes, happen to my macbook too, it took 40 to 50% when window is idle, it just doesn't make sense, it makes my macbook sucks

10. jasonw

jasonw Member

I noticed increased CPU usage with #5060 compared to #4560. I noticed the CPU usage by Parallels dropped from ~50% to ~10% when Windows was logged out. Removing both jusched.exe and iTunesHelper.exe from my startup items using msconfig has brought my idle CPU usage back down to ~10%.

11. podxtking

podxtking Bit poster

you mean inside windows? if yes, can you explain how that can be done? thanks

12. jasonw

jasonw Member

Does the CPU usage of Parallels in Activity Monitor drop significantly if you log out of Windows (i.e. goto the Windows login prompt)? If so, this may help.

Goto start, run and type "msconfig". Click onto the Startup tab and see if you have anything called either iTunesHelper or jusched. Untick them both and click OK and do the restart when prompted.

If your CPU usage dropped lots when logged out of Windows but disabling iTunesHelper and jusched didn't help, try disabling other things in the Startup list. At worst you can go back in and turn them all back on again. Hell, take a snapshot first to play safe :)

13. podxtking

podxtking Bit poster

no, it doesn't help, logging out doesn't make a diff

14. DJ-GROBE

DJ-GROBE Member

Not help here, and my trouble its created when plug usb device.

15. DJ-GROBE

DJ-GROBE Member

Well, time its runing, not answers not repplys.......not fixes.......
    I think o go for VMWARE

16. podxtking

podxtking Bit poster

I am sure theres a way to fix this problem, because it just doesn't make any sense, I guess I will wait for Parallels tech support or a newer version

17. e60m5

e60m5 Bit poster

Just chipping in to say that I'm experiencing the same 'problem'. It's not a problem in the functional sense, as everything is otherwise working fine. However, it's a problem in the practical sense because my MBP now runs far hotter than before.

[​IMG]

18. e60m5

e60m5 Bit poster

Sorry - my fault - didn't realise the picture was too big!

The full image can be found at http://i14.tinypic.com/4zto56t.jpg though it presents what is essentially the same situation depicted in the topic creator's post.

19. podxtking

podxtking Bit poster

so no one got any solutions still?

20. jeremyy_

jeremyy_ Bit poster

When can we expect a fix

30% CPU usage makes my Parallels on my notebook almost useless. Does anyone know if there is a fix in the works?