Kerning and Font issues in parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mawa_73527, Aug 31, 2007.

1. mawa_73527

mawa_73527 Member

Hi,

I am a typesetter and recently switched to Mac and parallels. I create automated stylesheets which will be used under a pure windows environment. Whatever I create needs be 100% the same on my enviromentas as on a pure PC.

I work with professional typesetting tool that works directly in unicode and XML. The information for the kerning of the fonts is taken from uniscribe and the font itself.

I have recently found that my (win/parallels) PDF's do not match the PDF's I get from my client using the same stylesheet on a pure PC. The difference is very small and I found that the kerning of the font and the spacing between the words is not the same in the two environments.

So where do I need to look?
    Does Mac OS influence the rendering of the Glyphs?
    Would anything change if I install windows under Boot Camp and then run parallels?

I am open for any suggestion. I am aware of the awkwardness of my question. There are many ends to this question.I just need to know in which direction I will need to go!

Matthias

2. milesce

milesce Member

Matthias,

It may be an issue in your windows configuration. I do a fair amount of typesetting myself, and haven't had any differences. Are you running the same versions of Acrobat and/or other software?

As far as Windows knows, it IS running on a "pure" pc. While parallels handles the graphics, its the windows os that has to deal with font issues.

3. mawa_73527

mawa_73527 Member

Yes we are running the same software etc. I made sure to build the same windows enviroment. The difference is just a hair width.

But it is good to know that windows IS dealing with all font issues.

Matthias

4. mawa_73527

mawa_73527 Member

Hi,

I just installed windows using boot Camp. And surprise surprise the kerning issue was gone when I run in 'pure' windows mode.

So there must be something or some character parallels does not like!

5. foldingdummy

foldingdummy Bit poster

Are these PostScript fonts or OTF?

--romy

6. mawa_73527

mawa_73527 Member

These are OTF fonts
    Linotype Helvetica the latest OTF font that was issued that has multiple character sets.-

7. mawa_73527

mawa_73527 Member

Hi,

I just installed Build 5160 and the problem does not appear again.