WD External Hardrive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by gelbers, Aug 30, 2007.

1. gelbers

gelbers Junior Member

I have a question about using a external hd. It is a USB device. It appears under the devices, usb, but it does not appear in windows. Is it supposed to appear under my computer like it normally would in windows?? Please advise.

2. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Do you have any network shares connected inside your Windows VM?

3. gelbers

gelbers Junior Member

not that i am aware of.
    i have a parallels shared folder

4. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

5. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Ah, may be i misunderstood something. Can you tell me, do you have this device connected to VM? If the device connected it has the mark near it in Devices->USB menu.

If you not see this mart, you should click on it in the Devices->USB menu to connect device to virtual machine.

6. gelbers

gelbers Junior Member

Sandro: It did not appear in the disk manager on windows.

Ynot: When I click on devices and pull down usb it says external hard drive. what else do i need to do

7. biglar

biglar Pro

Make sure the hard drive is checked. Click on it and a check mark beside it should mount the hard drive.

8. gelbers

gelbers Junior Member

where should there be a checkmark??

9. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

on the right side of device menu item you must see a checkbox that need to be checked

10. junketer

junketer Junior Member

i am having the same problem!!! my external FreeAgent HD doesn't show up in windows explorer & it definitely is checked on the Devices-USB menu. Also my MP3 player shows up as being checked when connected for transferring music, BUT do you think my software can detect it? NOPE!!! Why not? Help please someone?