VPN Client and Networking Support

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ccie6872, Apr 13, 2006.

1. ccie6872

ccie6872 Bit poster

Everything works fine with the airport and gig-E interface in my MacBook, but when I am using my Cisco VPN client, I can not access networking. I understand that the VPN client creates a virtual interface, is there any work arounds or will support be added in the future?

2. DBCohen

DBCohen Junior Member

I am using Check Point VPN successfully over my MacBook Pro's wireless connection. So there is nothing in the Beta itself that should prevent VPN. Is your client configured to be aware that it has to traverse a network bridge?

3. John Mac

John Mac Junior Member

I am using the Cisco VPN client successfully as well on MacBookPro and have tested both on Wireless and on Ethernet.

I did not have to do anything special from the defaults.

-- JM.

4. ccie6872

ccie6872 Bit poster

Do you know if split tunneling is enabled?

5. willwgm3

willwgm3 Member

I'm running Nortel VPN with no issues under Beta 3 on my MBP. It worked out of the box with the Bridged network.

6. bdruth

bdruth Bit poster

Please clarify

Are you using the Cisco VPN Client in OS X (the darwin client) and then trying to use networking from your PW VM? This will likely be problematic. For the time being, you should be able to use VPN from your VM, or use VPN from within OS X - just not at the same time.

I believe all the other posters here are indicating that they are successfully using VPN from within the VM (correct if I am wrong).

7. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

I'm able to run Cisco VPN under OS X and simultaneously connect to the same remote network using Cisco VPN under Windows XP SP2 VM. I can read and fetch E-mail from the OS X mail client from a remote Exchange server and at the same time perform Oracle work through the Windows XP VM connected to a remote database.

Setup:
    MacBook Pro 2.16
    OS X 10.4.6
    Parallels beta 4
    Windows XP SP2 (w/ all current patches)
    Cisco VPN 4.90.00 (0050) - OS X
    Cisco VPN 4.8.00.0440 - Win32
    Using bridged wireless network adapter

Notes:
    Cisco VPNs are configured to use TCP (UDP did not work for me)
    Ensure unique host names (e.g., Mac-OS=MacBook, XP VM=MacBook-XP)
    Ensure DHCP and DNS are working properly and both guest and host can see each other (try connected shares both ways)
    Turn on VPN logging to see where the breakdown is occurring if the connection fails.
    Ensure your external firewall (if any) is not blocking
    Ensure that the Windows firewall is not enabled with the Cisco software (if should be modified during the Cisco install)

Hope that helps.....Gregg

8. scamp

scamp Junior Member

I also have issues using the Nortel VPN client from within the XP VM..

It seems to attempt to connect and start to establish and then fails when it attempts to get banner text.....not sure how to debug this sort of thing...

Any help would be appreciated!!

9. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

I found that I have to start the VPN in the client first and I have to share the Airport (or Ethernet) connection with the Parallels (en2) connection in OS X. Once the client VPN is up, I can get the host VPN to come up and both work in parallel (no pun intended). If, however, I start the host VPN first, the target domain cannot be resolved in the guest, therefore the VPN cannot be established.

10. errantpixel

errantpixel Bit poster

I have an odd situation .. Using a nortel style connection under Windows, I can build a tunnel and use it, but it's timing out (missing a heartbeat and killing the tunnel) in exactly 5 minutes . I can nail down the connection for hours if booted into XP nativly via BootCamp, so I'm thinking there might be some weird NAT issue with the interface parallels sets up to bridge the connection?

Anyone else using nortel vpn connections having a similar issue? Ideas?