Windows 10 update; PD11 'broken'

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JonM1, Jan 13, 2016.

1. JonM1

JonM1 Bit poster

OS X 10.11.2, PD 11.1.2 (32408), W10
    Windows 10 did an auto update yesterday; when it finished and rebooted (twice), it had lost all my desktop icons, couldn't see my Mac desktop at all (error message about network at startup), and window won't resize. Settings all appear to be OK and W10 under PD11 was working fine before the update. Some other strange anomalies I haven't seen before as well such as the cursor staying visible in the PD W10 window when I've moved it out into the normal Mac desktop.
    Error message is "Windows cannot access \\Mac\Home\Desktop" and when I ask it to diagnose, it says "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer". When asking it to repair, it fails.

What to do next to try to resolve?

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Jon,
    Please follow this article and check if you are able to fix this issue.

3. JonM1

JonM1 Bit poster

Thanks! I'd seen that knowledgeable article but passed over it because I was getting a different error message and it seemed to be unrelated to Windows 10. I followed the instructions and all seems to be back to normal, so thanks for he quick response - much appreciated!

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Sounds good! Feel free to reach out, we are here to help.

5. EdH1

EdH1 Bit poster

I am having the same problem and I have tried the fix. After I turn back on the shared profile feature and start Windows I get the following message:
    Parallels Shared Profile: You will be logged out of the system to apply the new Shared Profile Settings.
    I get logged out come back in to the same message over and over again. It never brings back the shared folders.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Ed

6. EdH1

EdH1 Bit poster

Never mind I got it working. While the shared profile was still turned on I uninstalled the tools again...rebooted...reinstalled the tools then restarted again and all is working again.

7. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Ed,
    Thank you for the confirmation, let us know for any further assistance with Parallels.

8. JonM1

JonM1 Bit poster

OK, so I have kind-of the same problem again but this time it's worse and I don't seem to be able to recover.....
    Parallel Desktop Tools started an update yesterday and then seemed to get stuck at 24% finished...I left it a few hours to see if it was just a bit tired :) I forced a restart and got the same problem I started this string with, so I went to start the fix procedure as described before...but when I went to the control panel there is no Tools to uninstall and my VM appears to be unresponsive once the network error message comes on-screen. I fear I may need to re-install Desktop, which is no big deal except I didn't keep my downloaded install package - should I just re-download from you and install over the top of my existing (don't want to lose app context or files)?

9. JonM1

JonM1 Bit poster

Parallels support folks - can you give me an idea what to try next please? I'm [still] dead in the water with a hung VM and I'd like to find a way to move forward without having to reinstall the whole thing, including Windows and my apps!! Now I'm wondering if my VM has hung or not - mouse doesn't seem to do anything in the VM window. Using keyboard strokes I can get the VM to respond but when I try to reinstall Tools I get a slide-in pop-up that asks what to do with "DVD Drive (D:) Parallels Tools | Tap to choose what happens with this disc" which I can't click and can't keyboard navigate to before it disappears.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  10. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Please try the steps below:
    Please take a snapshot of your virtual machine (in Parallels Desktop menu bar go to Actions > Snapshot) before you proceed with the instruction below to be able to revert all the changes.
    1. Start Windows and go to Run command Window.
    2. Type %temp% and hit Enter (Return).
    3. Locate PrlToolsPackages > Right Click on Setup.exe and run as administrator to install Parallels Tools & check how it goes.

11. JonM1

JonM1 Bit poster

Thank you. Couldn't right-click because the mouse had stopped working in the VM but did it with keyboard nav. Anyway, had to do it twice (the first time it failed with a message saying it had been interrupted) but the second worked.
    Jon

12. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Great! Glad your issue has been resolved successfully. Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help! Thanks!