I can't see EXCEL App in the "Open with" list

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by OlegA, Mar 5, 2016.

1. OlegA

OlegA Bit poster

I have Parallels 11 installed on El Capitan OS. The guest OS is Windows XP with MS Office 2007 installed.
    When I'm trying to open .xls or .xlsx file from Mac OS with Open with option there is no Excel (Parallels) app in the list. I can see Word (Parallels) app when trying to open .doc file without any issue.
    I tried making a "clean install" of Windows XP, tried installing MS Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 with no success.

I also tried to install Windows 7+MS Office and I can see Microsoft Excel (Parallels) app in Open With list. But I need it to work with Windows XP because XP takes much less disk space and system resources than Windows 7.

I even tried to move Windows_XP virtual machine to my old notebook with Mavericks+Parallels 9. It started fine and I can see Excel in Open with list. It means that there is a problem in Parallels 11 or in compatibility with El Capitan OS. I hope it can be fixed.

2. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi OlegA, Please try to follow the steps as mentioned in this article and check how it goes.

3. OlegA

OlegA Bit poster

Hello Arun
    I suppose you gave me the wrong kb link. There is nothing about Windows apps sharing.
    I have searched through KB and found this article.

If I change the default application for .xls files to Windows Excel I can open this file type with double click in Finder. I can also see the Windows Excel App in Open with list, but right after I change the file association back to native mac app the Windows Excel disappears from the Open with list.

4. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi OlegA, Kindly generate a Problem Report ID as per kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the Problem ID number so that we can assist you further.

5. Elizabeth Anderson

Elizabeth Anderson Member

6. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi OlegA, try this solution page number: 58

7. OlegA

OlegA Bit poster

This solution works only partially. If I change the default application for certain filetypes (.xls or .xlsx) to Microsoft Excel (Parallels) app it works. I can also see the Microsoft Excel (Parallels) in Open With list.
    But I don't want to open all excel files in Windows. If I change the default app to native Mac OS X app like Numbers the Microsoft Excel (Parallels) app disappear from the list again.

8. CraigR2

CraigR2 Junior Member

Shouldnt Excel for WIndows automatically appear in the "open with" list like all the other MS apps?

9. OlegA

OlegA Bit poster

It should, but it doesn't... when using Parallels 11 & Windows XP. In combination with Windows 7 Excel appears in "open with" list without any issue

10. CraigR2

CraigR2 Junior Member

Well I am using Windows 10 and Office 2016 for Win and can confirm that Excel 2016 for Windows doesnt show in the "open with" list either on the Mac side. Other apps are fine such as Word 2106, so it would appear to be something related to just Excel.

11. MatthewJ3

MatthewJ3 Bit poster

Hi, I have the same problem and would really need it fixed. It is something wrong with just the link to the Windows Excel program. I DO NOT want to set the default program for .xls files to Windows, but would rather need to use the 'open with' option in Mac.

12. RonnyG1

RonnyG1 Bit poster

Exactly the same problem here (windows 7, P12, El Capitan). I can tell my Mac to always open excel files in windows, and it does. In windows I can use the File and open (when in excel) and that will bring up excel on my windows. But I cant find the excel icon to tell my windows to open up excel in windows as a default.....silly.
    I have even installed Office again - still no excel icon.
    Funny thing is that it worked in the beginning. Then I believe I got a question reg how to open files (and share files?), when I tried to open an excel doc in windows. Since then its zero progress...Any action taken from parallels?

13. RonnyG1

RonnyG1 Bit poster

as in Craigs case above, my word is showing. Anyone know if I can Browse my way to excel?

14. CraigR2

CraigR2 Junior Member

Has there been any update on this issue of Excel not appearing in the Open With menu? This is most certainly isolated to just Excel and all suggested "workarounds" are not working. Come on Parallels, sort it out!

15. Guys, did you reinstall Parallels Tools?

16. OlegA

OlegA Bit poster

Many times. You could try it yourself. Just install WinXP + Office 2010 and you will see this issue

17. You can try this KB then.
    It's acceptable for the latest Parallels version too.