problem with prl_cc.exe at shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by wingmate, Mar 14, 2009.

1. elddum

elddum Bit poster

I am on Parallels 9 (both latest and one but) and this this error on prl_cc.exe ONLY when I am running in coherence mode. When I am in either Full Screen or normal windowed mode this isn't a problem shutdown as normal. As soon as I put it into Coherence Mode and then try to shut down I get this error.

Am trying to set it up simply for my wife so she can occasionally run MS Project and MS Visio (which are only Windows platform), with everything else being Mac only apps, so I want it to be as transparent as possible, and not feel like she is running two machines.

Hope there is an answer to this.

2. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

The problem has been fixed in 24172. Please, upgrade.
    Make sure Parallels Tools are up to date also.

3. elddum

elddum Bit poster

Yes - fixed problem - thanks!

4. elkscout

elkscout Bit poster

what is 24172? please elaborate

5. elddum

elddum Bit poster

It is the latest update released by Parallels... download and install using the check for updates in the parallels application.

6. cvilledave

cvilledave Bit poster

Unfortunately, this problem is not fixed for me in the latest release (24172). I still see frequent issues with prl_cc.exe at shutdown, Windows Explorer hangs, and sluggish performance starting MS Office 2010 apps. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and even created a new clean VM, but the problems still exist.

7. Docger

Docger Junior Member

Just added Windows 7 SP1 to a Parallels virtual machine. I too have the same problem seeing prl_cc.exe at shutdown. I use Parallels 9 with all the latest updates available.

A little help here?

8. mculver

mculver Member

The problem still exists in 24237.

9. mculver

mculver Member

And an XP guest that was working fine now hangs at shutdown. Even a Parallels reset doesn't work.

Can I get instructions on how to revert my Parallels installation to the build before 24237 when my XP guest was working?

Yet another new build moving things backwards.

10. Faruk_Mulla

Faruk_Mulla Bit poster

I have been having the same problem for the past month. I am on the latest version of Parallels 10 (Version 10.1.1 (28614)).
    The system is very unstable usually hanging at least 3-4 times a day.
    Its says its closing Explorer and then hangs. Please help!

11. Tim Murray

Tim Murray Junior Member

Here it is September of 2015 and I just had the problem on Parallels 11, Windows 7, and Yosemite, so no, it's not fixed in 24237, and I have a number of freezes. Pretty sure it was more stable in earlier times.

12. MarcoM1

MarcoM1 Bit poster

I have the same problem with Parallel Desktop 11.
    When Windows 7 is running in his PHYSICAL PARTITION, process "prl_cc.exe" blocks the shutdown of Windows (see photo attached).
    All software (OSX Yosemite, Windows 7 and Parallel Tools 11) are updated to last version.

Customer support washes his hands, and to blame Windows, but of course the cause is of Parallel Tools...
    Parallel development: what are you doing? I bought a software that I cannot use!!

Attached Files:

13. SeanM1

SeanM1 Bit poster

Having the same problem with prl_cc.exe. Stops the shutdown. Further, parallels/windows is now hanging when I try to startup.
    I've been trying to use parallels over the past three months, and I have to say, overall I've had a really negative experience. While I appreciate the fact that what the program is attempting to accomplish might be really difficult, I have to say it's not doing it very well at all.

Definitely wouldn't recommend Parallels at this point to anyone else.

14. RicG

RicG Bit poster

Another "me too" with some more details. This problem appeared after I moved my VM to a different drive. I reinstalled Parallels Tools but that didn't help. I'm running Parallels 11.1.2 (32408) on Mac OS X 10.11.3 with a Windows 7 (32-bit) guest. I own 3 Parallels 11 licenses (one at work, two personal copies at home) and this is only happening on my work system. I would greatly appreciate a fix for this.

15. RicG

RicG Bit poster

Possible fix?
    This started happening to me with the Parallels 11.1.2 update running on El Capitan. One time I just let it wait and the guest OS (Windows 7) eventually shut down. After that, the next few shutdowns were clean an uninterrupted. We'll see if it stays happy.
    Ric

16. RicG

RicG Bit poster

Paul,
    For what it's worth, I was experiencing the problem mentioned (and possibly solved) in my posts with build 32408 of 11.1.2.
    Ric

17. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi RicG, Please follow the steps mentioned below to investigate the issue:
    Allocate less RAM for the virtual machine.
    Options tab -> Optimization -> Performance -> set to Faster Mac.
    Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > Console - If it is required click Show Log List - Select All Messages - In the search box type i/o - if it returns disk0s2: I/O error, your hard drive is corrupted and you need to contact Apple Support.

18. RicG

RicG Bit poster

Paul,
    I checked my logs and saw no I/O errors over the past couple of days. I followed your instructions to set the performance to Faster Mac (I usually have it set to Faster VM). Lo and behold, when I shut down the VM, the prl_cc.exe wait problem returned! As before I waited it out and on my next shutdown it was gone. I then returned to the Faster VM setting and everything was still okay and still no I/O errors of any sort. FYI, I'm running 32-bit Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM allocated (out of the 16 GB on this iMac). The VM generally performs really well.
    Ric

19. VeeB

VeeB Junior Member

I'm seeing this problem (prl_cc.exe not stopping) also. I running Yosemite 10.10.5 on a MBP 2011 15" with an i7 processor, 8 GBytes of RAM, 4 GBytes allocated to Windows. I have the latest update to Parallels 10 and running Windows 7 64 bit home premium. I'm seeing lots of other problems. My Windows Explorer keeps hanging up. The system seems to freeze, with the spinning wheel. After a while I may get a message that something is not responding. I have updated Windows to every update available. I'm running TurboTax Business for the last time, filing final returns for my businesses. I won't need Windows as much after this. So I haven't upgraded to Parallels 11. Reading the many posts here, I don't think that will fix the problem. Parallels seems to be pretty buggy. I'm tempted to install Windows on my new iMac 27" 5K using Boot Camp. The main advantage with Parallels is that you can access disk files in both the Mac and Windows worlds. I keep hoping for a fix to these problems.

20. MarcoM1

MarcoM1 Bit poster

For a year I had a problem shutting down Windows 7 from physical HD partition. A message was displayed waiting prl_cc.exe to stop.
    But finally I've resolved!
    I've updated Parallel Tools (inside Windows) with latest version 11.1.3.