Parallels Desktop 11 DHCP configuration

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ErlingJ, Mar 11, 2016.

1. ErlingJ

ErlingJ Junior Member

In order to reach the work network over VPN, I have to setup guest OS's with static IP addressing. On PD 10, I used the advanced preference pane to establish a range for static addresses not conflicting with PD DHCP. It seems the "advanced" network preferences is no longer there in PD 11. Anyone who knows what configuration the PD 11 DHCP is actually using and how to modify it?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, the "Advanced network preferences" available only on Pro edition. In Parallels Desktop Pro Edition a virtual machine's name will be automatically registered in the host's /etc/hosts records if the following statements are true:
    The VM is in Shared or Host-Only network mode, and the VM gets an IP address from DHCP (not a static). Please refer to this article.

3. ErlingJ

ErlingJ Junior Member

I use the network preferences of PD 10 for a purpose that has nothing to do with "pro", namely to workaround a DNS bug in PD 10, still present in 11. What network preferences is PD 11 actually using? Did the installer wipe out the PD 10 network setup, or is 11 using the network preferences set up by 10, with no GUI to inspect and/or modify?

Anyway, I just gave in and reverted to PD 10 to get back the missing functionality. This is going to be my production environment until the competition gets their act together speedwise, or Parallels comes up with an update policy that makes sense, whichever happens first.