poweroff doesn't power down debian sid vm

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by skymoo, Aug 22, 2007.

1. skymoo

skymoo Bit poster

In a Debian Sid VM a call to poweroff doesn't power down the VM and I need to stop the VM using the "Stop Virtual Machine" button. This looks like it could be an ACPI option as on boot the following messages are displayed:

FATAL: Error inserting fan (/lib/modules/2.6.22-1-686/kernel/drivers/acpi/fan.ko): No such device
    WARNING: Error inserting processor (/lib/modules/2.6.22-1-686/kernel/drivers/acpi/processor.ko): No such device
    thermal: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_set_thermal_limit
    FATAL: Error inserting thermal (/lib/modules/2.6.22-1-686/kernel/drivers/acpi/thermal.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

the only thing mention in dmesg regarding ACPI is as follows:

ACPI: Core revision 20070126
    ACPI: Exception (tbxface-0618): AE_NO_ACPI_TABLES, While loading namespace form ACPI tables [20070126]
    ACPI: Unable to load the System Description Tables

doing a google search on this problem suggests adding the boot option acpi=force to my boot options, but this has no effect. On a call to powerdown I still get:

Will now halt.
    Shutdown: hda
    System halted.

Is this an OS issue or something to do with Parallels?

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

hi,
    i think this is issue around Debian. Try to check it by installation as host system if possible.

3. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

also check maybe acpi=noacpi param passing to kernel on system loading

4. skymoo

skymoo Bit poster

that has no effect, still get the same ACPI error messages on boot and in dmesg

5. skymoo

skymoo Bit poster

Just installed on an old box and that powers down without issue, the problems not related to debian; its something to do with Parallels ACPI support

Any ideas?

6. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Parallels do not support ACPI under linux. ACPI is supported only for Windows Vista OS.

7. skymoo

skymoo Bit poster

Does it support any kind of power management under linux, as I've just compiled a custom kernel with APM instead of ACPI and get the same shutdown problems?

On boot, with the APM kernel, I get the following displayed regarding APM:

apm: BIOS not found

Surely it is possible for a linux VM to power down under Parallels?

8. skymoo

skymoo Bit poster

Has anyone got a Debian Sid VM to power down under Parallels?

9. skymoo

skymoo Bit poster

I also have the same problem using Ubuntu Feisty, does any Linux VM power down?

10. hotblack

hotblack Member

This is definitely an issue for all Debian based systems.

The question is, are there any plans to fix this, yet another Linux bug?

11. skymoo

skymoo Bit poster

Looks like its another Linux bug as I can't get a Fedora Core 7 VM to powerdown either.

12. hotblack

hotblack Member

Yeah, no support for ACPI outside of Vista so any Linux distro using ACPI is not going to have proper power management. Pretty serious bug and no sign (from posts here or my enquiries with support) that there is any intention whatsoever to fix it.