PD11 Pro: PRLCTL PAUSE doesn't work with display sleep (FIXED)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DoniK, Mar 16, 2016.

1. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Hi,

PRLCTL PAUSE
    command doesn't seem to work when Mac's display is asleep (computer is awake and fully operational, just display is asleep). This means after-hours scheduled pause jobs don't work, such as for backups. Logs show VM state go to pausing and paused, but shortly after to resuming. So it doesn't seem to complete the task properly and never "really" changes state. I reproduced this with several different scripts and on different VMs with different guest OSes (see below).

However, PRLCTL SUSPEND command does work when display is asleep. But that is suboptimal for backup jobs, for example. Pause is far more efficient.

PAUSE works when display is awake, including with a locked screen. I thought at first there was an encryption password authentication script problem, but the same problem with an unencrypted VM. So is there a known reason it doesn't when the screen is asleep? Is it an OS-level limitation between what pause looks for and display sleep?

Thanks, DoniK

Test environment:
    PD 11.1.3 Pro
    OS X 10.11.3
    Mac Mini
    VMs: Win 7, Win 10, OS X 10.11, OS X 10.10
    Host Mac OS user logged in, display sleep either via idle or hot corner​

2. Manu@Parallels

Manu@Parallels Guest

Hi Donik,
    In order to investigate the issue further, we need you to submit a Problem Report and provide us with its ID number. Please follow this KB article to submit Problem Report: http://kb.parallels.com/9058
    NOTE: Please submit a report while reproducing the issue and provide us with generated ID number

3. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Turns out my scripts weren't passing the encryption password properly. I fixed the scripts and pause is working for me again. I still don't understand my earlier mixed results, since suspend shouldn't have worked either. But in any case, all's good now. Sorry for the runaround.