Win10 start menu no longer works

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JulsS, Jul 23, 2015.

1. PaulKorm

PaulKorm Member

Excellent @ScottJ1 -- thanks for sussing this out.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Thank you! Nice try. We'll share your suggestion to the concern team and Thank you for your feedback.

3. CccA

CccA Junior Member

This is still a problem and occurred with the latest 1151 (OS Build 10586.17).
    I had to create a new user to get a good TileDatabase this time, as my backup needed to be 'upgraded'. Its odd that Microsoft haven't fixed this by at least creating a default start menu layout after the problem is detected!

4. LazyA

LazyA Bit poster

This is such a painfully frequent occurrence. At least once every fortnight my profile gets corrupted and I have to go through the hassle of either reinstalling or copying the other user database to solve the issue. Temporarily, obviously as this keeps happening.

Just adding my tuppence worth.

5. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi @LazyA, create a new user in the virtual machine and check if it works. If yes, we suggest you to take snapshots.

6. Mr. C.

Mr. C. Member

After the latest Windows 10 preview update, my profile was corrupted yet again, I decided this weekend I've wasted enough time with this Windows 10 garage, and reverted to Windows 7.

It may very well be that the previews are not compatible with Parallels, and that using them is a contributing factor. I don't know who's at fault here - Windows or Parallels, but frankly I don't care anymore.

7. ArunR1

ArunR1 Bit poster

I too have started encountering this very often. Almost once every 3-4 days. This escalation is very recent. And, despite my previous thinking that it may not be a Parallels issue, I have to contend with this fact: On my Parallels VM: happens every 3-4 days. On my native Windows 10 machine (lenovo laptop): has NEVER happened.

That's right: has NEVER happened for me on bare metal Windows 10. Only on Parallels/Windows 10.
    It's time the Parallels Engineering folks started taking this seriously.

8. Mr. C.

Mr. C. Member

My post #47 seems to implicate Parallels too.

9. RichardF3

RichardF3 Bit poster

This is driving me nuts too. Windows, Parallels and Parallels Tools all up-to-date.

10. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

My experience on both my macs is similar. My two Windows 10 parallels VMs (in place upgrades from Win 7) are plagued with the start menu issue, but my two standalone fresh install Windows 10 Bootcamp partitions (not linked to Parallels) have never had it.

BUT Windows forums are full of the same problem so it is not simply a Parallels problem.

I suspect there are multiple causes and some of those may be associated with Parallels. A combination of reverting to snapshots, repeating updates, and the reported fixes have always worked so far, but unfortunately, once solved the problem is highly likely to recur at some point.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  11. sgniwder

sgniwder Member

Mine was resolved for quite a while; Now it seems like every time I install a new application that this changes and I need to copy the database from the TileDataLayer. I have needed to install quite a few applications lately and this has made me copy this about 20 times over the last week. Very frustrating

12. JulsS

JulsS Member

It happened again to me today after a few months without a problem. I was switching between Retina and non-Retina resolutions. Not a big deal to revert to my snapshot, but still annoying. I am using Windows 10 v1511 build 10586.164 with Parallels 11.1.3.

juls

13. RobertP5

RobertP5 Bit poster

This has been occurring on a sporadic basis me once every few weeks, but has just over the past couple weeks now turned into a multiple time per day occurance. It is making parallels practically unusable.

It occurs much more often when I have 2 x Windows OS's running or when my laptop is potentially under heavy load. I have never had this happen on my desktop PC. Ever.

We desperately need a solution to this.

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, Kindly refer to this article to fix Windows 10 Start Menu doesn't work in Parallels virtual machine

15. mukirom

mukirom Bit poster

Can someone help me how to fix the annoying error I got on my PC about the missing twinapi.appcore.dll file? I saw some videos on youtube and search on google and run into this forum for searching help about how to fix the file, I saw some option with formating the PC and the other one is to download the file from websites that provide that kind of files like dllinstaller.com but at the same time, there is some kind of risk of how to be sure that the files are safe and if I download them should they fix my problem I'm new at this and so far never come to a problem like this.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2021
  16. mukirom

mukirom Bit poster

any help with fixing twinapi.appcore.dll?

17. ReinierD

ReinierD Bit poster

wow this Win10 start button problem still very much exists in 2021. I just reinstalled Paralllels and it still doesn't work.

I can't even get windows to respond at all so I can make new user accounts to fix the issue

Help please

18. mukirom

mukirom Bit poster

????

19. IndusRobe

IndusRobe Bit poster

This is still a problem and occurred with the latest 1151 (OS Build 10586.17).
    I had to create a new user to get a good TileDatabase this time, as my backup needed to be 'upgraded'. It is odd that Microsoft hasn't fixed this by at least creating a default start menu layout after the problem is detected!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2021