Boot Camp virtual machine stops booting after a while

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Eugene_L, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Eugene_L

Eugene_L Bit poster

Hi. My boot camp virtual machine seems to work until someday when instead of booting it shows these error messages:
    "The virtual Hard Disk 0 has wrong access permissions or is used with another virtual machine.
    Check and correct permissions or stop another virtual machine."
    And then
    "Unable to connect Hard Disk 0.
    A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 0 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."
    If I delete the virtual machine from parallels control center and then add it back using the pvm file, the virtual machine will boot just fine. But after a while it breaks again. I doubt the issue has anything to do with the permissions because performing the actions above without doing anything to the pvm file or the virtual machine folder fixes the issue for a while. This must be some kind of a glitch. I've tried creating a new boot camp virtual machine from scratch and it didn't help. Changing virtual machine folder didn't help either.
    Is there any way to fix it?
    I use PD 10 on OS X Mavericks and Boot Camp Windows 8.1 installation

2. Vince_Cooper

Vince_Cooper Bit poster

I'm getting this same message. Bootcamp has nothing to do with mine. It's PD10 with a Vista VM running on Yosemite. How can I recover the hard drive?

3. Martin_Lass

Martin_Lass Bit poster

I'm surprised that there are not more of these. I had the same problem. I was damned if I was going to delete anything, though, as I have critical data and programs on my Bootcamp partition. (I am running a virtual machine with the Bootcamp partition running Windows 7 Home). So, while I was trying to shut down the Windows virtual machine by experimenting with different keystrokes, I happened to type CTL-OPTION-CMD-DELETE (4 keys, holding down the first three while hitting DELETE), and, hey presto! It booted into Windows normally! And I was able to run Windows programs with no problem and shut down normally afterwards.

Now, I haven't yet tried going back into it yet... I'll repost here if I have continued issues.

By the way, Acronis True Image will now back up both the Mac and Bootcamp partitions as a complete disk image. Highly recommended if you are running a Bootcamp partition!

4. Martin_Lass

Martin_Lass Bit poster

Further to my last post, I just booted into Windows (Bootcamp partition) normally again, so the problem has not reoccurred. I have no idea why this combination of keystrokes worked. Any ideas Parallels people?? And what the issue might be? I'm running Yosemite, and had no problems before this. Does Parallels need to update after this new operating system? Running Parallels 10.1.1.

5. Eugene_L

Eugene_L Bit poster

It has happened again. Multiple times. My bootcamp vm won't boot. I have to change the virtual machine folder in parallels settings every time the annoying glitch appears in order to make my bootcamp vm boot.

6. Eugene_L

Eugene_L Bit poster

This combination doesn't do anything in my case. The most annoying part is that I have to wait couple minutes till those error messages start showing up. Or reboot my mac, and for some reason the reboot process goes much longer than usual.

7. DmitryS1

DmitryS1 Bit poster

Got the same message:
    "The virtual Hard Disk 0 has wrong access permissions or is used with another virtual machine.
    Check and correct permissions or stop another virtual machine."
    followed by:
    "Check and correct permissions or stop another virtual machine.
    A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 0 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."
    None of the solutions found have worked.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this? Parallels team? Seems to be not a singular problem, and it is very urgent to me.

8. Bill3

Bill3 Bit poster

I would love to know as well. Same thing happened to me

9. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi all,
    Please submit a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provided us the ID number, to investigate further on this issue.

10. MaxM2

MaxM2 Bit poster

I am seeing the same issue. I suspended a Linux client. Instead of shutting down cleanly, I noticed ten minutes later that it had hung. After a reboot, I had this message. Looks as if the disk was full. It could have said that when trying to shut down, when I could have done something about it! That said it shouldn't be too terrible. I'm fairly good at keeping backups.

11. MaxM2

MaxM2 Bit poster

Report submitted.
    Hmm, disk space freed but that VM isn't coming back. Have I really lost a day of work? That would be very sad!

12. MaxM2

MaxM2 Bit poster

I tried to repair the hard disk with `prl_disk_tool check --hdd violet-0.hdd` as recommended here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/113241
    However unfortunately it bounced straight back with:
    Unable to perform the operation because the virtual machine that uses this disk is not stopped. Shut down the virtual machine and try again.
    How can I persuade parallels that it is not so and to get on with fixing the thing?

13. MaxM2

MaxM2 Bit poster

Aha: According to the following the drive is mounted somewhere in the host: http://kb.parallels.com/4680
    Normally I'd just find it `umount` it but it's late and I'm tired and so I just rebooted. Now the disk checks out and the machine starts. Whoop!

John Crighton likes this.
  14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Max, It seems that you're on outdated build of Parallels Desktop 11, please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build 11.1.1 (32312). You can update to the latest build as suggested in this article. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools). Please see this article to know more about Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac updates summary.

15. John Crighton

John Crighton Bit poster

Up-voting this. I have used Parallels since version 3, and this is the first time that I have ever had this issue. Rebooting did not fix the problem, but running the disk fix recommended in this post only took 1 second, and fixed my issue.

16. EnricoF

EnricoF Bit poster

Dear All
    Fixed this problem by opening the Activity Monitor on the mac and force quite any process related to Parallels.
    Thanks
    E

YuryK likes this.
  17. YuryK

YuryK Bit poster

Worked for me as well! Thanks!

18. @YuryK thank you for sharing your results here!