Windows Service Fails to Start

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RogerS2, Mar 17, 2016.

1. RogerS2

RogerS2 Bit poster

I have an existing Windows Server 2008 64 bit VMWare VM.

When I convert it to a parallels VM a windows service fails to start in the converted VM, and the service cannot be started manually either.

I can run the original VM that was used to create the parallels VM in a trial version of VMWare Fusion on the same macbook pro and it functions as expected. The original VM also functions as expected when run with VMWare Player on various windows laptops or PCs.

I do not know what the windows service is doing when it runs, or tries to start, but the main software I need to run in the VM will not function without this service as it relies on it.

I just paid to upgrade from parallels version 10 to 11 hoping that would fix the problem.
    It appears it may have been a waste of money and I should have just purchased VMWare Fusion and given up on Parallels!

See the attached screendumps taken on the same macbook pro.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Manu@Parallels

Manu@Parallels Guest

Hello RogerS2,
    In order to resolve this issue please follow the steps suggested below:
    1.Please make sure you deleted previous tools from your virtual machine (old Parallels Tools or VMware tools, etc.)
    2.Fully Shut down your virtual machine - do not suspend the virtual machine and do not put it in hibernate mode.
    3.Open Parallels Desktop (in the Applications folder) and choose File > Open.
    4.Select the Windows data file you want to import, then click Open.
    Parallels Desktop data files end with .pvm.
    VMware files end with .vmx.
    Virtual PC files end with .vmc.
    VirtualBox files end with .xml or .vbox.
    You can also simply drag a Parallels .pvm file to the Parallels Virtual Machines list to add it to Parallels Desktop.
    5.Start Windows.
    6.Choose Virtual Machine > Install Parallels Tools and follow the onscreen instructions.
    Please let us know if it helped.

3. RogerS2

RogerS2 Bit poster

Thanks for your suggestions.

I think that the problem is that when the VMWare VM is converted to a Parallels VM that Windows becomes unlicensed as it detects that it is running on a new "computer" in the Parallels VM.

This does not occur when copying the VMWare VM from a physical Windows computer to my mac and using WMWare Fusion on the mac so I have purchased a VMWare Fusion license instead.