Plans for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS ?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by mcgroarty, Apr 6, 2016.

1. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

Ubuntu's next LTS release is 16.04, which is due for final release on April 21.

The final beta was on March 24, and Parallels support is broken with the current Parallels Desktop Pro Edition 11.1.3 (32521). Parallels Tools install, but the machine loses the ability to display the desktop after rebooting. Manually reinstalling Parallels Tools doesn't fix the issue. This happens for Ubuntu upgrades and for fresh Ubuntu installs.

Are the Parallels developers currently working with the beta? If not, is there a target release date for LTS support following the final 16.04 release?

EddieJoe and SteveG1 like this.
  2. SteveG1

SteveG1 Bit poster

Based on previous history it won't work at release and maybe 6 months later we get a release that includes support.

3. JacobJ1

JacobJ1 Bit poster

Recent compiz support is broken in Parallels. This affects an up-to-date Ubuntu 15.10 (which according to Parallels is supported; is not) and Ubuntu 16.04. I've reported the compiz issue in early February and so far nothing has been done. They haven't even tried to reproduce the error as the only support I got was to uninstall Parallels tools and reinstall again; which I already had done per email this was in reply to. Probably best to complain via twitter.

4. ChristianS7

ChristianS7 Bit poster

yeah virtualization on mac is prolly in a bad state.
    either you pay for vmware and some things won't work but open-vm-tools for the rescue. and pay for vagrant.
    or you just pay for parallels and need to wait for the support. even products for a one time payment of something like 20 bucks are better than these two.

5. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS landed today, as scheduled. Now we begin counting so we know what to expect when the next LTS lands.

One of Parallels' major desktop virtualization competitors took a unique approach so they have ubuntu support from day one: They open sourced a light version of their guest tools. These are part of ubuntu's own package repositories, and the open source developer community helps deal with breakage. It also means the community maintains standard package management scripts so there aren't any surprises like we get if we don't remember to reinstall parallels tools after a kernel upgrade. Maybe Parallels could consider something similar?

6. ThomasH9

ThomasH9 Bit poster

Hi, if you disable 3D acceleration, ubuntu 16.04 work but it very slow.

7. MiguelM1

MiguelM1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I just created a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine. While the installation itself went OK, I couldn't install the Parallels Tools even if I followed the instructions here.
    I attached the full log file but the lines seem to be these ones:

make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic'
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c: In function 'call_tg_sync':
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:776:8: error: implicit declaration of function 'vmalloc' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    dst = vmalloc(dsize);
    ^
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:776:6: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
    dst = vmalloc(dsize);
    ^
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:784:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'vfree' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    vfree(dst);
    ^
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c: In function 'prl_tg_write':
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:852:15: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
    sdesc.idata = vmalloc(src->InlineByteCount);
    ^
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:866:8: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
    sbuf = vmalloc(ssize);
    ^
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:888:6: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
    dst = vmalloc(dsize);
    ^
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    scripts/Makefile.build:258: recipe for target '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o' failed

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Best regards,

Miguel

Attached Files:

8. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Guys,
    Parallels will soon be optimized to run Ubuntu 16.04, please stay tuned by subscribing to our newsletter to get any product updates.

9. EdwardD3

EdwardD3 Bit poster

While I'm sure everyone appreciates you taking the time to comment Sylvester, 'soon' doesn't really help people that are trying to get *buntu 16.04 distributions working on their Macs. It does still amaze me that VirtualBox supports newer Linux Distros faster than Parallels when it's free. I do like Parallels, but having no clear schedules for support is a bit frustrating.

Ubuntu has one of the best release schedules, April and October every year - it's not like there isn't plenty of warning

ClemensA likes this.
  10. MiguelM1

MiguelM1 Bit poster

Support for Ubuntu 16.04 is planned for Parallels 11 and Parallels 10, too, right?

11. MiguelM1

MiguelM1 Bit poster

Any news about this? I read a different thread (this one https://forum.parallels.com/threads/ubuntu-16-04-unusable.336595/) but there is no solution to this problem other than (maybe) install Ubuntu 15.10, then upgrade to 16.04. I might try that but, anyway, I would like to know what the official plans regarding Ubuntu 16.04 support are.

12. PignonitoL

PignonitoL Bit poster

I think the company is going down the drain. Ubuntu's release schedule is well publicized, and they have plenty of time to prepare. Now that 16.04 has been officially released for over a month and we still don't see any published timeline can only mean one thing: they don't have one. This is a familiar story, they had a great product, but now either don't make enough money or nobody at Parallels cares about anything anymore. I can still run older Linux like 15.10, but I would start to copy the files to the native Mac OS folder and start exploring alternatives. It's the beginning of the end.

13. marat_t

marat_t Pro

guys, I tried to test 15.10->16.04 update as well as clean 16.04 installation in PDfM 11 (not 10) and it works fluently.
    we also have an article in case of graphics issues http://kb.parallels.com/en/123795

can anyone provide me with clean steps to replicate the issue?
    Ubuntu 16.04 should work on the latest build of Parallels Desktop for Mac 11.

14. DenisP1

DenisP1 Bit poster

What we are looking for I guess is a Pre-configured Virtual Appliance within the Parallel application, right now it still points to Ubuntu 14.04...

Will that happen anytime soon?

Thanks.

15. marat_t

marat_t Pro

16. MiguelM1

MiguelM1 Bit poster

Sure thing!
    I did a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04 on the latest build of Parallels Desktop for Mac 10 (not 11) and installing Parallels Tools failed as stated above.

I updated Ubuntu 16.04 today and tried again, just in case. Installing Parallels Tools failed again, with pretty much the same error log, only with the newer Linux kernel version (i.e. linux-headers-4.4.0-24-generic instead of linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic).

Any chance of this being fixed in Parallels 10 at all?

Thanks a lot,

Miguel

17. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi Miguel,
    I'm sorry, I don't have any info in regards to Parallels Desktop 10. It is expected that it will not work in v10. I would recommend to consider upgrading to v11.

18. PignonitoL

PignonitoL Bit poster

Finally tried xubuntu 16.04 on Paralles 11. What a lousy experience! Installation went fine, Parallel Tools installation went fine. Ubuntu runs, this is the only positive news. Everything else is awful. xubuntu 16.04 is sluggish on Parallels 11, while the CPU utilization is not (allocated 2 CPU with 2G of memory on a decent 8GB MacBook Pro). Sometimes the VM takes 70% of CPU and the CPU temperature shoot up to 75C, the fans are screaming like the end of the world. The display resolution changes back to low values when resize the window size, so all the high DPI settings for Retina make the display unusable. On the other hand, xubuntu 14.04 runs nicely on Parallels 11. Seems to me the technology behind Parallels requires tuning for each guest OS. And obviously nothing has been done for ubuntu 16.04. As I have mentioned in the other blog entry, it's the beginning of the end, the company is going down the drain. If you want to continue running Linux on mac OS, now is the time to look for alternatives. Somebody mentioned that most of effort has been spent on optimizing parallels for win10. If this is true, not sure if Parallels has the wishful thinking that Win10 will save their day, or willingly to be the pawn of Redmond. Well, good luck to get in bed with MSFT, you will need it.

19. Bill Standen

Bill Standen Member

Yeah 16.04 "works" but the UX is extremely poor currently even on high end Macs.

Honestly, this has been pretty disappointing from Parallels. There's a major use case for you guys to be actively supporting the beta releases of these OSs given what virtualisation is used for, let alone missing proper support for LTS releases months later.

20. Why it takes more than two month to port the parallels tools to the new ubuntu LTS version?
    I pay for a pro version and can't use it for the current version of the mostly uses linux distribution since two month!