Lost Parallels Tools after Parallels update to 11.2.32581

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DavidB22, May 1, 2016.

1. DavidB22

DavidB22 Member

Running Mac 10.11.4 (OS X El Captain) and Windows 7

What happened
    Parallels update returned an error window titled Parallel Tools Installation Agent
    At 66%, the message is "There was a problem updating Parallels Tools"
    "Please restart Windows and try again. If this doesn't help, click here for more troubleshooting solutions."
    There is a reboot button.

Result
    Windows cannot see Mac files, folders, or desktop.

What I've tried
    I've re-installed Parallels App. This installed OK but didn't make any difference.
    I've uninstalled Parallels Tools via Control Panel and tried to re-install. I now only have 'Install Parallels Tools' on the Actions menu. Each time I select 'Install Parallels Tools' I get the same error at 66% as above.
    I've followed the troubleshooting solutions including switching off firewalls, disabling startups and services and deleting registry entries without success.

The key thing needed is that Windows is able to see the Mac files and folders so the relevant programs can be used. For this, Parallel Tools must be installed. What should I try next to achieve this? Thank you for any suggestions.

2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello DavidB22,
    Try installing the Parallels tools from the failed instance on the Temporary folder.
    - click on Windows Start button;
    - in the search field type :
    %temp% (hit Enter/Return)
    - Go to PrlToolsPackages folder -> double click on setup.
    Let us know how it works.

3. JacH

JacH Bit poster

I have the same problem!
    Tried Sastis solution with no luck. Setup is being rolled back at approximately 66%.
    Can I install the previous version of Parallels?

Regards,
    Jac

4. DavidB22

DavidB22 Member

Hello Sasti
    Many thanks for your reply.
    Unfortunately, no luck. Here's what happened.
    I double-clicked on setup.exe in the Temp>PrlToolsPackages folder
    UAC asks if I want to allow Parallels Tools Setup to make changes. I responded Yes.
    Parallels Tools - Setup Wizard window opens, to continue click Next>. I clicked Next>.
    Ready to install window opens, I clicked the Install button.
    Green progress bar moves across window then the Setup Wizard shows completed.
    "The wizard was interrupted before Parallels Tools could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again. Click Finish to exit."
    I clicked the Finish button and a Parallels Tools Installation window opens.
    "An error occurred while installing Parallels Tools. Click OK to restart your virtual machine and then try to install Parallels Tools again."
    I clicked the OK button, there is no other option, and Windows restarts.
    I then tried double-clicking on setup.exe again but got the same result as above.
    Thanks again Sasti. Any other options?

5. Sasti@Parallels

Hi,
    Can you reproduce the issue and provide us a problem report ID so that we can investigate this issue further.

6. Sasti@Parallels

Hi JacH,
    Can you reproduce the issue and provide us a problem report ID so that we can investigate this issue further.

7. DavidB22

DavidB22 Member

Hello Sasti
    My problem report ID is 97674591
    Many thanks

8. Sasti@Parallels

Hello,
    Thank you for the problem report ID. Try the following steps to check if it fixes the issue.
    1. Start Virtual Machine.
    2. Click on start menu and type 'cmd', right click on the command prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'.
    3. If UAC is prompted, click Yes.
    4. On the command line, type :
    sfc /scannow (hit Enter key)
    5. Once the scan gets completed, restart the Virtual Machine and install Parallels Tools.
    Let us see how it works.

9. DavidB22

DavidB22 Member

Hello Sasti
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    I ran sfc /scannow... here's the result.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    Details are included in the CBS.log
    I then exited the virtual machine, went back to %temp% and double-clicked on setup.exe
    Unfortunately, the setup rolled back as before.

10. DavidB22

DavidB22 Member

Thanks Sasti. I've emailed at 11:04 (BST).

11. DavidB22

DavidB22 Member

Hello!
    Some feedback following getting my problem resolved... and a big thanks to Dinesh Rathinakumar for this. :cool:
    It seems the sound driver was causing the problem and KB117150 refers to this.
    In KB117150 scroll down to the Notes section, 4th bullet point:
    If the installation crashes on 66%, to workaround this you may uninstall sound device from Device Manager before installing Parallels Tools.
    After removing the sound device, Parallels Tools installed OK :)

12. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello Davidb22, Sounds great! Feel free to reach us back for assistance, we're here to help you.

13. bbsnews24

bbsnews24 Bit poster

I have the same issue!
    Attempted Sastis arrangement with no good fortune. Setup is being moved back at around 66%.
    Will I introduce the past rendition of Parallels?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  14. Hello bbsnews24,
    you may uninstall the sound device from Device Manager before installing Parallels Tools and let us know if you are able to complete the installation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  15. MartyL1

MartyL1 Bit poster

Since upgrading to 11.2-32581 I'm unable to install/update Parallels Tools on any of my VMs. This includes Win 10, Win 8.1, and Centos. Like others it' seems to stop about 66-69%. Any thoughts?

16. Hello MartyL1,
    If there are any Antivirus software installed in your Windows virtual machine try to uninstall it and try to install Parallels Tools Manually and let us know if it makes any changes.

17. MartyL1

MartyL1 Bit poster

There is no AV on any of the VMs. As an experiment, I restored the VMs from before the Parallels upgrade, booted the Win 8.1 VM, manually ran the Tools installed and it worked fine. FYI

18. Hello MartyL1,
    Sounds Great! Feel free to write back to us we are here to help.

19. Ulrich Maasmeier

Ulrich Maasmeier Bit poster