Outlook 2016 Not Responding in Parallels 11

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by larryp1, Apr 1, 2016.

1. larryp1

larryp1 Junior Member

I'm running the latest version of Parallels with Windows 10 / Office 2016. I constantly get "outlook not responding" and have to wait 7 -10 seconds for the outlook to respond. I've got 8GB of memory allocated to Windows. What's the fix?

2. Manu@Parallels

Manu@Parallels Guest

Hello Larryp1,
    Virtual machine performance is slow either from startup or while using a certain application. There are several possible reasons for this.
    Please follow steps suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/112091 to fix this issue.

3. larryp1

larryp1 Junior Member

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately, this did not help. Nor did the latest update. I can't move between emails without the system "not responding".

4. Hello larryp1,
    Kindly submit a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here, to investigate further on this issue.

5. MehmetG1

MehmetG1 Bit poster

Hi,
    Basically, I have the same problem. I'm running the latest version of Parallels with Windows 7 / Office 2016. I constantly get "outlook not responding" and have to wait 7 -10 seconds for the outlook to respond. I've got 8GB of memory allocated to Windows.

Also, I submitted a Problem Report whose ID is 98161547.

Please let me know how to fix this problem.

6. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

7. larryp1

larryp1 Junior Member

I've tried the solutions referenced in the link, and none work. I have tried another vendors virtual machine software and do not have the same issue. I prefer Parallels. Other suggestions? Is there any network throttling that occurs?

8. larryp1

larryp1 Junior Member

Does anyone have an answer to this issue????

9. MehmetG1

MehmetG1 Bit poster

Hi Arun,

Also, I applied the solutions copied in the following link:solution
    But it did not solve the problem.

Please let me know if you have any solution for this.

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi MehmetG1, please check out this article to fix the issue and let us know how it works.

11. larryp1

larryp1 Junior Member

I tried the link posted by Paul and it did not fix it. Again... with another vm software provider I do not have the same issue using the same configuration and outlook profile)

12. larryp1

larryp1 Junior Member

Update: I've updated to Parallels 12 and still have the same issue. I've created new virtual machines, archived email, run in safe mode. All with the same result. Does anyone have answers?

13. MehmetG1

MehmetG1 Bit poster

Hi Paul: I looked at the article you indicated however it did not work. I still face the same issue.

14. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

i really dont think there would be an incompatibility issue here being as a lot of people are running outlook 2016 with no issue. There must be an underlying outlook or windows issue but anything is possible. So just to start. you have created a new VM archived your emails and tried running in safe mode? Was this just a stock .iso install? What all options and features do you have installed? just outlook or the entire office suite? Are there any extensions you are using or custom settings?
    Here is another microsoft link that helps with this issue.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2652320

Your running parallels desktop 12 correct? Which version of windows and build number please. also please be sure you have installed the hot-fix patch that was released today.
    http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12

Sorry for all the questions but any information helps to troubleshoot the issue.

15. larryp1

larryp1 Junior Member

I'm running the latest version (including today's update). 8GB RAM; 512MB Video; 2 processors, bridged ethernet, optmized for faster virtual machine. tune windows for speed is checked; adaptive hypervisor is unchecked. power is Better performance; sharing all disks; full office 2016 suite is installed, but the "not responding" happens even with just Outlook open. I've switched disk drives - same result. Again... when I run it on VMWare, no issues. But I prefer Parallels!

16. DustinHullett

Are you running any kind of antivirus on Mac OS X or Windows? What does activity monitor show when this happens? High cpu or memory usage?

Something else i have seen is an issue with permissions being granted to outlook to access the exchange server if you are using microsoft exchange email server. You can usually resolve this by going to your Vm configuration < Network < Set source to wifi or default adapter < click advanced < Generate a new mac address and select use generated mac address. I have seen a lot of issues when the windows VM also tries to use the host mac address with a bridged connection. It actually will freeze my outlook 2010 up when i do this testing.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  17. larryp1

larryp1 Junior Member

I am not using any antivirus. I'll try the generating the new MAC address and see what happens.

18. larryp1

larryp1 Junior Member

Same result. Not responding messages.

19. DustinHullett

Will windows ever give you the "this program is not responding" window? if so it may give you a path to a log file that could be useful here. Windows does not alwayse do this for some reason? Also have you tried disabling all hardware graphics acceleration? This is also a known issue with outlook.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/outlook-stopped-working-not-responding-freezes-hangs
    Here is good article.
    As referred to in the article have you looked at the size of your outlook data file? If it is excessively big it could cause hang ups and slow downs when trying to run outlook and read or load new emails.
    You should be able to find your data file here.
    C:\Users\"your user name here"\AppData\Outlook
    Please report back with these results. Thanks

20. TomN1

TomN1 Bit poster

I am so fed up of this issue. I just upgraded to Parallels 12 from 10 to try and fix it, no luck. When I'm running windows on an external monitor from my macbook unscaled, it works fine. As soon as I disconnect the second monitor and it has to run scaled (either retina or half scaled) Outlook hangs constantly and is completely unusable.

I haven't come across this problem with any other application under Windows, as other users have noted above, no problem with Virtualbox and Outlook 2016.