Upgraded to V11.2.0 yesterday, lost Ctrl-L/R arrows...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JoeO1, May 4, 2016.

1. JoeO1

JoeO1 Bit poster

Upgraded to V11.2.0 (Pro Edition) yesterday.

I used to be able to switch between multiple, full screen guest OSes, and my host OS X OS by using the Ctrl-left and right arrows. Loved this.
    It no longer works. I re-installed Parallel tools on all the guest OSes.
    I also followed the following instructions:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/123048
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/111877

Any guidance?

2. Hello joeO1,
    Try to manually install Parallels Tools and let us know how it works.

3. JoeO1

JoeO1 Bit poster

I really do not have any confidence in your answer.
    Before I go off wasting my time chasing "try"s, is this the best support you can do on this problem? Is there a "level 2" support person I can consult with?
    More importantly **why** do I need to install the tools manually? Was something broken in this release? Is this documented in the Release Notes, or somewhere else?

4. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hey JoeO1, Please provide us the 8-digit Problem Report ID, we will check and let you know.

5. JoeO1

JoeO1 Bit poster

Arun - thank you. I did so two days ago, and I am extremely disappointed at the results of using my paid Parallel license to get support.

My interactions with the offshore tech support team is documented here: https://support.parallels.com/SelfService/Display.html?id=2270755

Summary: After opening an official support ticket for this problem, and clearly documenting the steps to take to reproduce, I was again pointed to a knowledge base article that was similar to the ones I documented having already tried. After responding that the KB article provided did not solve my problem (and taking a screenshot as evidence), support's next suggestion was to allow the offshore team remotely access my machine.

I cannot in any way, shape or form, explain how unprofessional that suggestion is. The idea that I would let a software vendor support team access my machine to troubleshoot a problem is laughable, especially when I have provided clearly documented steps to reproduce the problem, which no one on Parallel's side appears to have even attempted to do. To think Parallels would even suggest remotely logging into a customer's computer, knowing full well all the security risks that would further expose their customers to, suggests Parallel's support team has absolutely no idea what they are doing.

I have wasted several hours on this problem, am no closer to a solution, and have nothing but frustration to show for it. I am extremely disappointed in Parallel's attempts to resolve this issue.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi JoeO1, please follow the instructions given below to fix the issue:
    1.Right-click on the Parallels Desktop icon in the Dock >
    Preferences.
    2.Open Shortcuts tab > System Shortcuts tab.
    3.Send system shortcuts > Always
    4.In OS X, go to System Preferences.
    5.Keyboard > Shortcuts > Mission Control tab.
    6.Enable shortcuts "Move right/left a space"

7. JoeO1

JoeO1 Bit poster

Paul - Your advice is in direct conflict with the information in http://kb.parallels.com/en/123048 , which states:
    1. In OS X, go to System Preferences.
    2. Keyboard > Shortcuts > Mission Control tab.
    3. Disable shortcuts "Move right/left a space"

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Dear JoeO1, we have tried the steps mentioned above, and it's working fine on my Mac machine. Please let us know how it works.

9. JoeO1

JoeO1 Bit poster

Thank you!

I think I found the problem. I can reproduce it.

If you go to menu option Parallels Desktop->Preferences->OS X System Shortcuts, and select "Always" from the "Send OS X system shortcuts" option, the arrow keys DO NOT switch between the a full screen guest OS and the host OS X desktop.

However, if you go to menu option Parallels Desktop->Preferences->OS X System Shortcuts, and select "Auto" from the "Send OS X system shortcuts", the arrow keys DO switch between the a full screen guest OS and the host OS X desktop, UNLESS the guest OS is OS X, in which case the arrow keys DO NOT switch between the the full screen guest OS X and the host OS X desktop.

Something is screwed up when setting "Send OS X system shortcuts" to "Always" and something is screwed up processing a Ctrl-arrow from inside a OS X guest OS.

10. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

joe: have you tried this with a non-OS X virtual machine? if you read the text that's in the description, the OS X System Shortcuts say:

"Mac system shortcuts (CMD+Tab, Dashboard, Mission Control, etc.) will be sent to your OS X virtual machine only when it is focus. Otherwise they'll be sent to your Mac operating system."

The way I read it, with "ALWAYS" selected, if you're running OS X in the VM and are looking at your regular OS X desktop, CTRL + (RT ARROW) should show your Guest OS, but then pressing CTRL + (LT ARROW) will have no effect since it'll be going to the Guest OS (as it is now in focus). Setting it to ALWAYS should always send the shortcut keys to the Guest OS (if it's OS X) and never to the primary / host OS...

I only post this because I thought it was the other way around - ALWAYS = always send keys to the primary / host OS but never to the Guest / VM OS.

Parallels should clarify the wording or perhaps indicate on the page when a selection is made what effect it will have.