Parallels file save to mac share SLOOOOW!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TAHARVEY, Jul 22, 2007.

1. TAHARVEY

TAHARVEY Junior Member

I have my WinXP "my Documents" pointed to my mac "documents" folder so I have a unified document directory. Unfortunately Saving to the Mac share is between 20-50 times slower than saving to the windows virtual drive. (an example file take <0.5 sec to save to the PC drive, and 15-25 sec to save to the Mac share.

How do I fix this? Is there a fix? I can understand it would be slightly slower, but this is out of control. It is very hard to use a program with autosave turned on.

Using Build 4128

thanks

2. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Member

How big are the files you are trying to save? I too have noticed that saves to the virtual disk are a bit faster but the performance hit is certainly tolerable. The only time I really notice it is when I close MS Money 2006. I have it configured to do an auto-backup when I exit which results in saving a 16+ MB file to drive Z: which inside my VM is mapped to the Parallels shared drive for my Mac home directory.

3. TAHARVEY

TAHARVEY Junior Member

About 5 meg. pretty small.

I even get a few seconds wait just to copy a 100k file. In comparison, coping that same file between two networked computers over 100 MBit ethernet is instantaneous

4. tsunami78

tsunami78 Junior Member

I have also experienced this, even with files as small as 50KB. It seems like any disk access to the PD Shared folder is much slower than accessing the virtual disk in general. Any help would be appreciated... I try to keep all of my data within my Mac Documents folder, and it's very frustrating when trying to open/save files.

Cheers,
    Jason

5. tsunami78

tsunami78 Junior Member

After looking around a bit, I found that I was running a few builds behind. After updating to build 4560, there appears to be a bit of an improvement in shared folder reading/writing. It still takes considerably longer to read from/write to the shared folder, but it's not quite as bad as it was.

Cheers,
    Jason

6. TAHARVEY

TAHARVEY Junior Member

Agreed, it is not 500 times slower not it's "only" 25 times slower than native.

An improvement but not acceptable.

Any program that does scheduled saves every couple minutes is nearly unusable

7. kingc

kingc Bit poster

I am doing a java compile from windows pointing to source on a mac shared drive. On my old DELL 810, it would take 4 minutes. Using the VM on my brand new macbook pro, it took 84 minutes. This is not acceptable performance. Is there any fix coming?