Birthday upgrade promotion advertising free upgrades

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by IanL1, Jun 13, 2016.

1. IanL1

IanL1 Junior Member

2. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hi IanL1,
    Parallels Desktop free upgrades are applicable only to subscription plans and it does not apply to the 1-time purchase. Minor updates are always free. Thank you for bringing it to our notice.

3. IanL1

IanL1 Junior Member

Hi Dinesh,

I see the comparison table has been updated. Still shows the Pro version as having Free upgrade to newer versions. And this is for a 1-time purchase:
    Parallels comparison 2.png
    http://www.parallels.com/au/birthda...ource=pd10&utm_medium=ipn&utm_campaign=bday16

So if I understand what you're saying, that line should not be there at all. For a 1-time purchase, there is no free upgrades?
    What about the Parallels Access line? Previously that was for Home/Student, now it is for Pro. Again I thought that was a subscription-based service, will Pro users have access to Access indefinitely?

4. RobertM14

RobertM14 Bit poster

It appears that by subscribing to the "Pro" version in this birthday special, if I choose not to upgrade to any subsequent version of Parallels Desktop, Parallels with cease to operate on my computer as of the expiration date of my 1 year subscription. I have no need for "Pro" special functions and have not upgraded Parallels from version 9 for nearly two years as it works fine. I am using Windows XP and intend to use it until I die so the new features which support subsequent versions of Windows are of no interest to me.

Looks like I will shoot myself in the foot to upgrade to "Pro" version.

5. BrianW5

BrianW5 Bit poster

To piggy back on the question about the birthday promotion... it very clearly states that the upgrade price for existing customers is $37.94/yr, but when actually trying to make that purchase, I cannot get that offer no matter what link I follow.

I am now told by clever bridge that the price is either 37.94 for one year and then $99/year after that... or $49.99/year (annual renewals). Neither of those options are in line with the promotion that is still running on your site. I use the product all the time, it's a good product... but this makes me feel like I am either not able to find the right purchase link or that it is misleading on purpose.

6. IanL1

IanL1 Junior Member

Yes, I see now the additional /yr added after the pro pricing in the second revision. So Pro is only subscription-based, you can't purchase Pro as a 1-time purchase? What features do I lose after the year? As Robert says, do I lose complete access to Parallels? Do I only lose access to the mobile Parallels Access and support? Do I get downgraded to a home edition?

Edit: I found this helpful post about how the subscription works.
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/parallels-11-susbscription-clarifications.329373/
    Imagine my surprise that Robert was correct, if I cease to pay the subscription I lose all access to the software. That's made my decision for me, no upgrade. Home version contains no features I need, and Pro version will cost me infinite dollars to use indefinitely.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  7. BrianW5

BrianW5 Bit poster

IanL... parallels is not a SaaS tool so I would be amazed if they had it configured to cease working if you do not renew. Generally that just means your access to major updgrades and support stops. That's at least my experience with similar situations.

I was hoping that Dinesh@Parrallels was going to answer my question on the pricing... it wasn't just intended to provide the /yr notification. For what it's worth, I've used Parallels for years, and if you are trying to run Windows on a Mac... it would have my recommendation regardless of the difference in the price advertised vs. charged.

8. IanL1

IanL1 Junior Member

Yes, I was amazed (amazingly disappointed) too. But that was the answer by Parallels Support employee Dishant in the thread I linked:
    If you have a subscription of Parallels Desktop Pro then you will have to subscribe to it annually. The functionality and support of the product will be available till the subscription period only.