Windows Authentication

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Swift2001, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Swift2001

Swift2001 Member

I have had the same Windows XP installation on my Boot Camp partition since I got the Mac mini. No, scratch that, I did reinstall it with Fat32, but now I wouldn't need that to have a read-write share. Anyway, the time I installed the other version, it authenticated. When I first tried Parallels, I think it authenticated another couple times. But then, it said it was suspicious. I had to phone up. Two. Three times, until Parallels figured out how to work that. Recently, I've had problems with Parallels locking up, hard, before Windows was fully loaded. So I uninstalled Blink!, the very smart security software, thinking that might be the problem. Another phone call. Then, I confess, I tried out VMWare. It does work well, though it burned up another phone call. Today, I decided to change some things around to make it more certain that I was going to boot sucessfully in Parallels. Of course, that was a change from my flirtation with VMWare, so I had to enter a new code after talking to the woman from India. So then I thought, well, if I use the same software link to my newly authenticated Windows partition, I'll use a brand new pvs file. Well, guess what? When I tried to open this newly-authenticated partition up in Parallels, there was the Genuine Advantage icon. My "hardware" had somehow significantly changed, for the third time in August.

I understand poor, poor Microsoft doesn't have enough of the World's Money. I understand them wanting to stop people from copying the OS Installation disks and installing Windows on 40 or 50 computers. But I've had Windows XP on the same computer all this time. It's a genuine disk from a System Builder. I didn't steal it. Why do they want me to feel like I'm a thief every time I install an upgrade to Parallels?

2. daj

daj Member

I have had similar problems re-activating Vista as I try different configs. It is so annoying as I am one of the mugs who bought Vista (actually three copies for all my home PCs - one laptop, one PC, one media centre).

It's is always an odd experience when you call India as they can never understand me when they ask why I need a new code .. they just give you the code anyway! I guess the New Delhi ear is not tuned to the Scottish accent

3. tim-e

tim-e Junior Member

Is it a retail version or OEM? There's a big difference and of course making changes to the environment in which Windows sits is going to trigger anti-piracy measures. Not that I'm particularly supportive of Microsoft, but OEM editions of XP and above are finicky about changes because they are licensed for your machine exactly as purchased.

Having said that, I haven't had a problem with upgrading Parallels; I've used the same VM image for about 9 months with no incident.

4. Swift2001

Swift2001 Member

What happened this time

I guess it's an OEM version. What happened most recently was this: I use the Bootcamp partition, and for a long time, I booted into the partition, or -- more usually -- I'd open up the Mac and have Parallels access the Bootcamp partition for me. But it seems to me after a recent "Windows Genuine Advantage" stealth install, it got VERY strict. I'm not sure I can do this.

See, I've had problems with Parallels loading windows and then freezing up while the tray started loading. As well, Parallels Tools wouldn't fully install, and I couldn't get Coherence to work anymore. The Time sync feature wasn't even working. So, I reauthorized in Bootcamp, and then booted into Parallels, which always worked. Now it didn't. Then I reauthorized while in Parallels. Then, the next boot into the new version, I saw the (new?) option of uninstalling Parallels Tools. So I did that, thinking that the next time it would load, I'd get a real install of the Tools. No. It's now a new computer to Microsoft. I look forward to my third phone call to India in September, so far.

The point is, this is a nightmare system for the consumer. I'm not pirating! They'd be far better off, like the music industry, to take off copy protection and lower prices to the point where it's just a pain to pirate. Say, $129 for everybody. : ) Sure, the authentication catches people who who try a second install on a different machine, but for virtual machines, it's horrendous. I'm thinking of dropping the Bootcamp partition entirely, and using a virtual HD.

5. Upton O'Good

Upton O'Good Member

Have you tried the online activation?