VM uses twice the expected disk space

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by AndrewV1, Jul 22, 2016.

1. AndrewV1

AndrewV1 Bit poster

Hi,
    My Linux file management tools tell me my disk usage is about 15 G, yet the VM file size on the Mac file system is 32 G. I am using "expanding disk".
    What could be going on?
    P.S. My max disk size is 62.2 G, which Parallels will not let me reduce. I'll never use that much for my VM.

2. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi AndrewV1, check if detailed log messages for troubleshooting is 'checked'. Go to Parallels menu (from Mac menu bar) > Preferences > Advanced > Troubleshooting. If this option is enabled, uncheck it.
    Locate your pvm file on Mac > right click and select Show Package contents > check the size of parallels.log files.

3. AndrewV1

AndrewV1 Bit poster

I followed your instructions, but that's not the problem. The troubleshooting option wasn't enabled, and the log file is tiny. What is big is the file "Mint Linux-0.hdd", it is 33 Gb, whereas the Linux disk management tools report a file usage of about 15 Gb. I can't help wondering if the Linux file management tools are lying somehow, but I can't think of what is might be. I would think some huge swap file would be visible as a file somehow.

4. AndrewV1

AndrewV1 Bit poster

I looked at swap space with swapon -s. It reports a swap partition of 200MB - tiny. So that's not it either.

5. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

AndrewV1, check if you Snapshots in your virtual machine. Refer to this article to delete a Snapshot.

6. AndrewV1

AndrewV1 Bit poster

Hi Arun,
    Nope, that's not it either. I followed the instructions. I have no snapshots.
    - Andy

7. S.V.

S.V. Member

Hi Andrew, have you solved this issue?