SLOW snapshot deletion and creation

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by milleron, Jul 26, 2016.

1. milleron

milleron Member

I'm running a Win10 VM on the latest version of Parallels Desktop.
    It didn't used to take very long for Parallels to create it's scheduled Snapshots, though I never timed the process when the setup was new.
    Over the last few months, it's been taking longer and longer. Today, it took 27 minutes just to delete the oldest Snapshot in order to make room for the newest one. My hardware is pretty good. I'm giving the VM 6GB of RAM and running it on an iMac with a Haswell i5 CPU.
    On the Windows 10 virtual machine, all I do is run Quicken -- i.e., there is very little software loaded in Windows.

Is this problem common?
    Any suggestions?

2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @milleron,
    The snapshots taken are directly affected by the actual size of the virtual hard disk. Please check this blog post and the article to know about snapshot creation and working with them. Let us know if you require more information.

3. milleron

milleron Member

Thanks for the reply. I read both the blog post and the article carefully, but neither one of them addresses my problem in any way. You mention that "snapshots taken are directly affected by the actual size of the virtual hard disk," but you don't explain that statement, especially as it might apply to my problem. The article does state that when Snapshots are being used it's impossible to compress or resize the virtual hard disk, so I'm not sure that there's any way to address the problem if you're implying that the virtual hard disk is too small..
    Please elaborate further. The first suggestions were appreciated, but they were not really helpful unless you can clarify them.
    Thanks again

4. milleron

milleron Member

You said to let you know if I require more information. Please see my post of 27 July requesting more information. I'd really like to know if there's something wrong with my VM because this behavior seems very odd as well as being inconvenient.
    Thanks

5. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey @milleron,
    The actual formula to create a snapshot is virtual machine's RAM size + video RAM size + 10 MBs. For example, if you have assigned for your virtual machine 1024 Mb of memory and 256 Mb of Video memory the snapshot takes minimum of 1290Mb (1.26 Gb). In your case, try reducing the memory given to the virtual machine and check if the time taken to create the snapshots changes.

6. milleron

milleron Member

Actually, creating the new Snapshot isn't the main problem. The main problem is that it takes forever, up to half an hour to DELETE, the oldest snapshot before creating the new one