Microsoft - Wireless Display Adapter - able to connect?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MichaelK8, Jul 27, 2016.

1. MichaelK8

MichaelK8 Bit poster

At work, we use Microsoft Display Adapters hooked up into our TV's that we project to.
    Most people at work have Windows computers and I have a Mac with parallels installed, running Windows 10. Co-workers can project wireless to that adapter but I am not able to.
    Is it possible in the first place? If so, how to do and/or configure? Thank you

2. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Dear @MichaelK8
    Have you followed the steps outlined in this article?
    Do you get any error mesaage when trying to connect? If so, could you please share a few screenshot with us?

3. MichaelK8

MichaelK8 Bit poster

There's no error, I just can't find the device when I go to add. I click Add device and it never finds it. My co-workers, and my other windows laptop, can connect just fine, same procedures. So I was wondering if the parallels setup on a mac needs to be set up differently? Like network mode? Bridged adapter? Shared? Currently, I have it set to the default adapter. Screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

4. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @MichaelK8,
    Please keep the virtual machine in Bridged(default adapter). Then from the Mac menu try finding your device under Devices->External Devices->your device.
    Let us know how it works.

5. MichaelK8

MichaelK8 Bit poster

No, nothing appears there except the normal Apple items.
    upload_2016-8-1_7-51-8.png

6. ScottT4

ScottT4 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue... Have there been any other resolutions posted?

7. MichaelK8

MichaelK8 Bit poster

Nope, not a thing and not sure it even works. I would think it would but no clue. I wish I could confirm it even works period, then I could play around with settings more to test.

8. BrettR3

BrettR3 Bit poster

It would be great to be able to use Miracast from a Parallels Windows 10 VM running on a Mac - especially in an Enterprise scenario. Where I work, all of our exisiting Meeting Room Projectors are being fitted with Microsoft Wireless Display Adapters (which required Miracast). If this works on a Mac running Windows 10 under Bootcamp, it should technically be possible in a VM right?

9. KasperH1

KasperH1 Bit poster

Anyone have an update on this issue? All help is appreciated.

10. BrettR3

BrettR3 Bit poster

The issue appears to be to due to the limits of the Parallels VM Drivers. If I run the following command (netsh wlan show drivers) in a standard Windows 10 VM running under Parallels Desktop for Mac 14, I get this statement: There is no wireless interface on the system. (which is required for Miracast). So if I then connect a USB WiFi adapter ($5 from AliExpress) to the VM and re-run the command, I then get his statement at the bottom: Wireless Display Supported: No (Graphics Driver: No, Wi-Fi Driver: Yes) So if the Parallels Graphics Driver could support Miracast... I'm guessing it "should" all work... maybe... ?

11. KasperH1

KasperH1 Bit poster

Thank you for your reply Brett! We too have Windows Display Adapters in our enterprise.

Maybe they, Parallels, could take it into consideration to implement support for Miracast through a Win10Pro VM :) ?

12. m.k.

m.k. Bit poster

hi Parallels Support,
    was there any progress on your side to get graphical driver to support Miracast when using external USB wifi in Win10 VM?

netsh wlan show drivers
    Wireless Display Supported: No (Graphics Driver: No, Wi-Fi Driver: Yes)

13. m.k.

m.k. Bit poster