MetaStock 11 Parallels Coherence mode problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Ian5, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Ian5

Ian5 Junior Member

I have Windows 10 under Parallels Version 11.2.1 (32626) in coherence mode

I need to run MetaStock 11 in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode to get the correct MetaStock Title Bar to display.

On my iMac, running latest release Windows 10 1511 in coherence mode this causes flashing for about 5 seconds as MetaStock loads, and often doesn't load, requiring force shut down. In non coherence mode it loads fine

On my Windows PC running latest Window 10 Build 14393, but without Parallels, MetaStock loads fine.

I am not sure if the problem is Parallels coherence mode or different Windows 10 builds.

I would prefer to stay with Windows 10 rather than revert to Windows 7 where this wasn't a problem.

Any assistance is appreciated
    Cheers
    Ian

2. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi Ian5, try these steps after taking a snapshot of Windows.
    1. Isolate Windows and Mac.
    2. Install Parallels Tools manually and check if it helps.

3. Ian5

Ian5 Junior Member

Hi Arun,
    I notice in your snapshot link " Snapshots cannot be created for Windows virtual machines that use the Boot Camp partition."
    I do in fact have a bootcamp partition available for when I boot into windows directly rather than under Parallels. Is this a problem? Will I be stopped from ruining the system?

Cheers
    Ian

4. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Ian5, if you are running Windows in Parallels Desktop for Mac directly from the Boot Camp partition, then it is not necessary to create a Snapshot. Snapshots are for stand-alone virtual machines. Perform the other steps excluding 'Snapshot creation':
    Isolate Windows and Mac and install Parallels Tools manually. Reboot Windows and launch your application and check how it works.

5. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

You can also import the Boot Camp Windows to Parallels Desktop and run your application in Coherence mode and check. By importing, Windows will run as a stand-alone virtual machine under Parallels Desktop for Mac. This, however, will not affect your Windows on the Mac Boot Camp partition.

6. Ian5

Ian5 Junior Member

7. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @Ian5,
    If you wish to keep the boot camp and Parallels virtual machine separate, then importing the boot camp will be the correct choice.

8. Ian5

Ian5 Junior Member

Hi Team,
    I finally summoned up courage to import the bootcamp only to find I dont get the "Use Windows from Boot Camp" option?
    Cheers
    Ian

9. StevenR6

StevenR6 Bit poster

I wanted to try Bootcamp with Parallels 12 this weekend, and noticed the same thing. The help instructions say to choose the bootcamp option when creating a new virtual machine, but none is presented.

Is this still a feature of Parallels 12?

10. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi StevenR6,
    Please check this link & let us know if you are able to create Bootcamp based virtual machine.
    Thanks.

11. StevenR6

StevenR6 Bit poster

I was able to get it working after rebooting my Mac. For some reason my bootcamp drive was not mounted the first time I tried. After making sure it was more noted properly, setting up the boot camp virtual machine worked flawlessly.