AutoCAD on Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by chell, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

deesee wrote: "I know this won't help you, but I've just purchased one of the new Macbook Pro's and got Parallels 3.0. I have noticed very bizarre mouse behavior and very slow performance, but I'm using AutoCAD 2007."

===

Do you have any mouse enhancements running? USB Overdrive, Mighty Mouse, or others? If so, a simple tweak in those utilities may fix your anomalies.

2. ddfrye

ddfrye Bit poster

AutoCAD crash workaround

I am running AutoCAD 2008 in Parallels 3.0 (had been running v2.5 with the same problems). I have found a couple of workarounds:
    1. If I switch to full screen mode (on my 17" MBP) the problem goes away. I only have the problem in coherence mode.
    2. If I want to stay in coherence mode, I open the tool palette first (either pick from the toolbar or enter '_ToolPalettes at the command line. I can then close the tool palette if I don't want it open. I can then open any palette, including properties, that I want to. If I don't open the tool palette first, any other palette I open causes the AutoCAD crash. Please note the difference between a dialog box and a palette: in recent versions of AutoCAD many dialog boxes have been replaced by palettes. I have never had any problem opening any dialog boxes, only palettes.

3. phlip

phlip Bit poster

I'm using AGi32, a lighting design program that was running fine until I upgraded(??) to v3.0 and now i find it won't render. Had great 3D graphics with old version, now nothing.
    Just downloaded latest build..seems to have sort of fixed video issue...

I also am trying to connect an HP Designjet 500 plotter with Jetdirect 2400. I currently have two other printers working fine using Bonjour. Does anyone know of a driver to plug in that will allow me to use proper page setup? Printer not responding at all.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  4. Piet

Piet Bit poster

Irratic mouse in AutoCad 2007

I also have the problem of the irratic mouse in Autocad. I'm using a macbook pro, parallels 4560 and autocad 2007. I have tried the following advice from this forum: reducing the hardware acceleration to one setting short of max - this made the problem worse. I have also tried disabling the mouse sync in parallels tools - this also made the problem worse. I downloaded steermouse3.6 - didn't help.

Please help.

5. lucerodesign1

lucerodesign1 Bit poster

One more issue

It was hard for me to articulate the following issue, because I really didn't understand the root of this problem until just recently, and couldn't comment until yesterday on the Autodesk discussion group, but there's another problem I've been facing that so far has not been resolved. Posting from Autodesk AutoCAD LT discussion group.
    I use a second display and a Wacom Intuos 9x12 graphics tablet. The proportions of the laptop display are forced onto the second display at the setup orientation. In my configuration, what this effectively does is prohibit me from using my tablet on the upper portion of my second monitor. I have to release Parallel's control of the cursor (ctrl-option) in order to access that part of the screen by pen. That is bothersome, and I hope someone can help figure it out. I've tried changing every related setting that I can think of, but with no luck. If anyone has any insight as to how to fix this, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks!

6. mdozier

mdozier Bit poster

jumpy mouse

we use mbpro intel core 2 with 2g memory - been running parallels 3 with xp-pro and AutoCAD '07

using the mighty mouse instead of a microsoft mouse we used the standard parallels tools driver and in windows set the mouse to windows default settings, then adjusted the speeds and the thing smooths out fine. the only issue is the scroll wheel (ball) - the zoom can get a bit jumpy but with a little adjustment it gets usable.

the speed settings in preferences on the mac side and windows side can be adjusted such that the mouse ends up being pretty seamless.

the wireless microsoft optical mouse and the wired microsoft optical mouse speeds are considerably faster than the bluetooth mighty mouse and transitioning between the two is unbearable - you must drastically change the settings and even then the microsoft opticals never seem to smooth out.

hope that helps a bit...

7. cwojo

cwojo Bit poster

Yes the properties windows do not work for some reason.

8. chi1000

chi1000 Bit poster

mouse pan

I have been having the same problem since June with not being able to mouse pan in Autocad. It drives me crazy enough that I cad on my little laptop and havn't used my 24" imac for 3 months now!

Since it worked when I originally installed Parallels back in February I finally went and reinstalled build 1970 and reinstalled Win XP Pro and the 1970 parallels tools and now it all works fine!

My recommendation is downgrade today!

24" Intel Imac
    10.4.10 OSX
    Parallels build 1970.

9. berdinkerdickle

berdinkerdickle Junior Member

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  10. berdinkerdickle

berdinkerdickle Junior Member

AutoCad - Hold wheel down to Pan

I got pan to work with SteerMouse :)

Set "Middle Button" to "Middle Click"

Edit:
    I should mention;
    I'm using AutoCad 2002 (Full)
    Parallels 3.0 - 5158 RC2

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  11. chi1000

chi1000 Bit poster

Confirmed. SteerMouse does it! Thanks berdinkerdickle.

24" Intel Imac
    10.4.10 OSX
    Autocad 2005
    Build 3188

12. joostvdl

joostvdl Bit poster

Activation is not working on AutoCAD 2008

Hi

I just installed Autocad 2008 on Parallels 3.0 Build 5160. When I try to activate the AutoCAD Software the window with all the information to activate stays blank. Therefore I can't activate it.

Any idea's

13. jasonium

jasonium Bit poster

Panning in autocad via parallels in Leopard

first, make sure that MBUTTONPAN is set to = 1

follow the previously posted instructions using SteerMouse in Leopard to set the middle button to "middle click".

Now heres the important part thats new in Leopard (os 10.5). Go to system preferencecs, and open Expose. On the bottom, theere are button for Dashboard. The one on the right has the defalt set to use the middle mouse button (mouse button 3) to launch Dashboard. Change that setting to "-" or change it to anything other than mouse button 3. When you return to Autocad, you can pan normally without executing the pan command and retake the MBUTTONPAN control that we all love so much.

14. CoonHound

CoonHound Bit poster

AutoCad Plot to PDF Issue

I have AutoCad 2004LT installed on my Mac and it runs just great. The issue I am having concerns the ability to plot to PDF. It doesn't appear as an option in my Plotter manager and I haven't the foggiest idea how to make this happen. Anybody got any ideas?

15. jasonium

jasonium Bit poster

you need to install adobe acrobat pro into windows and use pdf as the printer. unlike osx, it doesn't come integrated into windows.

16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Here is a workaround for jumping mouse issue:

1. Right click on the Windows Desktop. In the drop-down menu choose "Properties".
    2. On Properties Display open "Settings" tab and click "Advanced" button. Open "Troubleshoot" tab.
    3. You will see the "Hardware acceleration" slider there. Put the slider on the graduation line preceding maximum Hardware acceleration level mark.

It is possible that you have encountered an incompatibility issue with AutoCAD and Parallels Tools video driver that provides 3D hardware acceleration feature.

Best regards,
    Xenos

17. Chilbear

Chilbear Junior Member

AutoCad on another user - same machine

I installed another XP virtual machine and user (my son) on my Aluminum iMac. Inventor is the Autodesk product and I got it to work fine. My intention is to keep the Virtual machines separated.

This morning when I logged back into my account Parallels worked but when I switched to Coherence the taskbar is nowhere to be seen or used but I can switch to Single window and I can function though that is not right.

My question is what is the best method to get the task bar to be usable and since we are both using the same version of Parallels, thought at different times, will one user effect the other user? Currently my account uses the Coherence feature and my son will use full screen mode when in his usage of Parallels. We are using build 5584 and have 3gb of ram.

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Chilbear,

Can you click Applications -> Show Windows Taskbar (Parallels Desktop menu bar) to see the taskbar in Coherence again?

If you and your son have different Virtual Machines, you will not effect each other as your virtual hard drives are different.

Best regards,
    Xenos

19. Chilbear

Chilbear Junior Member

Show Taskbar is clicked on - yet it does not show at all. Is there any way to get it to show itself (wherever it is) or a way to repoisiton it onto the screen? Would deleting the plist be a solution?

Edit:

I deleted the 2 plists for Parallels and that has reset the task bar.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  20. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Chilbear,

Thank you for the feedback.

Deleting Preferences lists is a logical workaround. It is possible that Parallels could not read the task bar settings because of some problems of access to .plist files. However as the problem is gone now - it's just my idea.

Glad to know your task bar is available again.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008