Windows update resulted in an endless bootloop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by YaronA, Nov 28, 2015.

1. YaronA

YaronA Bit poster

Windows 10, bootcamp.
    Updated the system (there's a big recent windows update).
    During the windows update, parallels showed a popup that the guest machine tried to rewrite the boot-sector, and that the change was denied (saved in the host machine, not the physical disk).
    The update restarted the windows machine, and now it's in an endless bootloop.
    Trying to boot into bootcamp results in immediate reboot to mac OSX.

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Yaron, please try to boot into the Boot Camp partition directly first. If you are able to boot successfully. We suggest you login to Mac again and delete the Boot Camp virtual machine and add the partition one more time.
    If you are unable to boot into the Boot Camp partition, please contact Microsoft to repair the Windows.

3. YaronA

YaronA Bit poster

This is straight up a parallels problem. When fixing the windows boot sector from the windows repair menu, I keep getting the message that the host machine tried to rewrite the boot sector, and that parallels prevented it.
    Now, I understand why that's advisable (otherwise it could compromise the mac boot scheme), but I would expect parallels to make the needed adjustments and commit the changes gracefully.
    Currently windows offers the tools to fix the problem, and parallels prevents them from committing.

4. mysticcoder

mysticcoder Junior Member

I like the way Parallels completely ignored this. Good stuff. I wonder if they ever patched the problem or made any attempt to gracefully handle it in updates since then... I had this problem trying to update to the November release and now I suspect if I try to update to Anniversary Update it'll probably fail too.. Guess I'll just have to try and see.

5. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Try using the updated Media Creation Tool for the Anniversary edition - Build 14393 & keep us posted
    NOTE: Before proceeding with the instructions below we highly recommend you to create a snapshot for data safety purposes.
    1. Create an ISO or update to 14393 directly.
    2. Here is the Microsoft website for Media Creation Tool.
    3. Media Creation Tool Direct Link
    You may also refer this link for additional information

6. mysticcoder

mysticcoder Junior Member

I used VMWare which updated flawlessly instead. Wasn't game on attempting Parallels.

7. AndreB4

AndreB4 Bit poster

I have just updated my Boot Camp partition with the Anniversary update (done natively, not within Parallels), and now my Boot Camp Parallels VM will not work anymore, Parallels says I should delete the existing "My Boot Camp" VM and recreate it. All good, BUT when I want to create one again Parallels does not show me the "Use Boot Camp partition" option.

How can that be fixed?

8. AndreB4

AndreB4 Bit poster

Answering myself after browsing the forum, I had Tuxera NTFS installed, uninstalling allowed the Bootcamp partition to be detected again, I could rebuild the VM, and everything is still fine after reinstalling Tuxera.

Could be could if Parallels could detect the presence of Tuxera or other conflicting software and advise about the procedure.

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi AndreB4,

We are glad that the issue got resolved. After uninstalling Tuxera software, you are able to create a Bootcamp based VM. Also, we will forward your feedback to the concerned team.

Thanks,
    Ajith M.