Automatically Connect Thunderbolt network adapter to VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DustinHullett, Aug 4, 2016.

1. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

Ok i use my thunderbolt ethernet adapter a lot but every time i need to use it i have to go to my vm settings and select network 2 and choose thunderbolt ethernet because every time i unplug the adapter the network 2 state goes to disconnected. Is there a way to keep this selected all the time so when i connect my thunderbolt to ethernet adapter it will automatically connect to my vm and i wont have to configure every time?

2. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @dustinh1
    Try the below steps and keep us posted
    1.Start Parallels Desktop, go to Parallels Desktop menu > Preferences > Devices
    2. Check whether the device you would like to connect to your virtual machine is listed under Permanent Assignments list. Use "-" button to delete the device from the list. Make sure Ask me what to do radio button is selected
    3. When you connect the thunderbolt ethernet adapter to Mac, a pop-up window will prompt asking if you want to connect the drive whether to Mac or to Windows - choose Windows.
    4. If not, go to Devices > External Devices and see if thunderbolt ethernet adapter appears in the list of device.

3. DustinHullett

I have these options for usb devices. I get the pop up asking to connect to mac or windows and all that. But with the ethernet adapter i font get anything. I never have. I just connect it and go to the settings for my vm and click network 2 and the dropdown menu on the right says disconnected so i click and go down and select thunderbolt ethernet. It had to be plugged up to even show in the list also. Maybe this is my problem. I need to save the thunderbolt adapter in my mac settings first so its alwayse visible in the list just not connected

4. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

You may try this workaround and let us how it goes.

5. DustinHullett

It doesn't work. My adapter is added in my network configuration but still doesn't show up in my devices in my parallels settings unless it is connected

6. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

@dustinh1,
    Have you tried keeping the virtual machine in Bridged network mode, Devices->Network1(or Network2)->Bridged(default adapter). If you have two networks (Network 1 and Network 2), please let us know what they are used for.

7. DustinHullett

I have one network set as my wifi adapter and the second as a thunderbolt Ethernet so I can connect directly to automation machinery to set it up for the first time I'm pretty sure there's no workaround for this. I will just have to select it every time becaus when I unplug the adapter it automatically goes to disconnected in my parallels settings