BSOD - Windows will not boot up

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MattD1, Aug 2, 2016.

1. MattD1

MattD1 Bit poster

Hi, I recently compressed my windows hd in parallels to reclaim some hd space, I know now that this was the wrong thing to do and I should have just used the parallels tool to reclaim the space!

Windows will no longer boot up and is stuck in a BSOD loop.

It will not even boot in safe mode, I have tried booting in all of the options you get when selecting F8 but I get the BSOD every time.

Any suggestions welcomed!

Attached Files:

2. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi MattD1,
    Please try repairing your Windows using this link & let us know how it goes.
    Thanks.

3. MattD1

MattD1 Bit poster

Sadly this does not work it just says windows can not automatically repair the problem. Is there a way I can access a folder on the windows desktop via terminal for example without the VM running?

4. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

If the hard disk of the virtual machine is not corrupted, you could try using Parallels Mounter to view the contents of the virtual machine. To do this, locate your virtual machine (.pvm) file on your Mac. Then right-click the file and choose 'open with'->'Parallels Mounter'. This will mount the hard disk of the virtual machine on the Finder's sidebar.

5. MattD1

MattD1 Bit poster

It says parallels mounter is unable to open the virtual hard disk :(

6. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi MattD1,
    If Parallels mounter is unable to open the virtual hard disk, it means your Windows is completely corrupted. Only way to retrieve your data is by creating another Windows virtual machine & add your old virtual hard disk as secondary disk to new Windows. By doing this, your old hard disk will appear as local drive D or E inside new Windows. After removing data, you can remove the secondary hard disk from configuration. However, you will have to reinstall required applications as this process will help only to retrieve data.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes, we will be happy to provide further assistance.
    Thanks.

7. MattD1

MattD1 Bit poster

If I try this the new VM won't boot, it crashes and gives STOP: x000000B

If I remove the 2nd hard disk (the one I need with all the date on) it boots fine

8. MattD1

MattD1 Bit poster

any more suggestions? are there any other ways I can recover the data? I literally need one folder that's on the desk top!