Xbox One Controller Support ?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MarkM7, Jul 18, 2015.

1. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

Hi all,

I can't get my Xbox One Controller to work with Parallels. I'm running Windows 10 which I believe includes the drivers built in.. But when I plug in my Xbox controller and select 'Devices', 'External Devices', 'Controller' in Parallels nothing happens (though windows does make the USB ding sound)..

Anyone else have this problem getting the controller to work in Parallels ?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Mark,

To take advantage of USB 3.0 in your Virtual Machine, please enable the feature in the Virtual Machine configuration: Virtual Machine menu > Configure... > Hardware > USB and then install USB 3.0 drivers if necessary

Please refer the following knowledge Base article to learn how to fix USB connection issue: http://kb.parallels.com/115008

3. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

Thanks Paul - but I already have USB 3 enabled in Parallels.

When I plug in my Xbox controller to a 'normal' windows 10 installation (e.g. Bootcamp) it works great. But when I plug it into Windows 10 through a Virtual Machine then it doesn't work.

Have Parallels tested the Xbox One controller running on Windows 10 ?

Anyone else tried this ? did it work for you ?

4. JeffM3

JeffM3 Bit poster

Just make sure the controller is plugged in and set it to connect to your Windows 10 install in the USB Connection Preferences or the Devices menu. You'll know it's connected because the xbox button is lit solid whenever it is connected. The only drawback that I know of is Microsoft doesn't yet let you use a headset connected to the controller.

5. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

Thanks - but that is what I've done. So an Xbox One Controller on Windows 10 through Parallels is working for you ?

6. JeffM3

JeffM3 Bit poster

7. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

Nope installed the drivers (though don't think you have to with Windows 10) and still doesn't work.

So to confirm - you have the Xbox One controller working on Windows 10 with the El Capitan Release ?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  8. JeffM3

JeffM3 Bit poster

I have not tried with El Capitan yet. I have been using latest Parallels 10 update, Windows Insider June through the latest build 10240, on Yosemite with the 10.10.4 beta. I will try El Capitan tonight on my laptop and make sure it sill works.

9. JeffM3

JeffM3 Bit poster

I think we hit upon a common failure point. My laptop used to work with the Xbox One controller before El Capitan. It now fails with an error 10 shown in the device manager. My desktop with Yosemite continues to work. I have just decided not to upgrade my desktop to El Capitan just yet since 90% of my Xbox One gaming is on this computer via Win 10 & Parallels.

10. DionC

DionC Bit poster

I just hit the same problem. With Windows 10 running in Parallels 10.2.1 on El Capitan the Xbox One controller shows error 10 in the device manager.

11. Guys, could you please upgrade to the latest version of Parallels Desktop 10 which has been released yesterday and provide us woth the results?

12. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

Still doesn't work..

Surely someone from Parallels can plug in an Xbox One controller and see this doesn't work ?

13. DionC

DionC Bit poster

I have also upgraded and am still getting the same error. I also noted that unplugging the controller caused the VM to freeze. Stopping or Resetting the VM didn't work and I was forced to restart my Mac to get the VM running again.

14. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

Any updates on this ? When will it be fixed ?

riversde likes this.
  15. riversde

riversde Bit poster

Mine got the driver properly installed, but doesnt detect it on the Xbox app. Can streaming very well.. I hear that with bootcamp they works. So Im in the process of testing this...

Hope Parallels team find the problem.

16. JeffM3

JeffM3 Bit poster

I have just checked, El Capitan Public Beta 3, Parallels 10.2.2, Windows 10 Insider Preview with all updates. Controller still gives Code 10 error in Device Manager. Still works perfectly with Yosemite 10.10.5 beta and same version of Parallels & Windows 10.

17. BrianV1

BrianV1 Bit poster

Apple just pushed an updated El Capitan beta (I think it's beta 6) to developers. This solved the problem with the Xbox driver. I plugged my X1 controller in and it worked right away. Not sure when they'll update the public beta... but at least the problem seems to be fixed.

EDIT: Apple posted a 4th version of the public beta. I'm not in that program so I don't know if it fixed it, but generally, if it's in the latest developer update, it's in the public one soon after.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  18. JeffM3

JeffM3 Bit poster

I just got around to updating and Publie Beta 4 is working as well.

19. gchriswill

gchriswill Bit poster

Hello everyone!
    I have a wireless Xbox One controller (Newest and recently released).
    I have the latest Mac OS X update.
    I have the latest Parallels update.
    I have the latest Windows 10 update.
    I want to be able to play with my xbox controller with my Windows 10 virtual machine.
    It does not work wirelessly and does not work via USB either. Can some one help me?

20. AlexA4

AlexA4 Member

After enabling 'pairing mode' on the controller, I can see the XBox Wireless Controller on macOS Bluetooth but not in Windows 10 Bluetooth settings. I do have the option in VM to share bluetooth devices to Windows.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016