Parallels 11 Bus to 12 Upgraded and VMs boot too black SOLVED

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by amutti, Aug 18, 2016.

1. amutti

amutti Bit poster

I like to live on the bleeding edge and of course updated to Parallels 12 as soon as it was released . . .

As would be expected I had issues. Basically, all my VMs booted up to black screens. Each consuming 99% CPU but essentially doing nothing I could see. MacBook Pro fans didn't even come on. After some trial and error I fixed it by going to Configure... --> Hardware ---> CPU & Memory Then showing the "Advanced Settings" and switching "Hypervisor" to Apple from Parallels. This fixed it on all my VMs. Not sure what I'm losing by doing this, but everything seems to be working fine.

As an additional note, I am running the latest developer beta of Sierra on this machine, which is Beta 6 at the time of this post.

I hope this helps someone save some time debugging the issue.

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, we'd appreciate if you could switch back to Parallels hypervisor, try to run the VM and then send a problem report (menu Help->Send technical data); post here its number.

3. amutti

amutti Bit poster

Just for you Elric I'll try.

4. amutti

amutti Bit poster

Report number

5. J.F

J.F Bit poster

Same problem here. Switched back to PD 10 and my windows VM was working again. I'll try this fix. Hope it works.

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I've sent some you a private message, take a look!

7. J.F

J.F Bit poster

It's worked for me, though, in my case, the process has been quite the contrary. Hypervisor was set to Parallels and I have changed to Apple. But the VM has finally booted.

8. WaltKi

WaltKi Bit poster

Thanks for the info. I had the same problems and your suggestion solved the problem. Thanks again.

9. MacSpanner

MacSpanner Junior Member

I am also having all sorts of problems with displays. Weird resolutions on main display and can not get anything on my second display. Parallels thinks I have 6 displays rather than the two I have (something to do with spaces???) and invariably trying to adjust resolution or getting it to recognise my second display is causing a crash. Unusable at the moment - will have to go back to v11 unless someone has some ideas.?

10. Cheezmo

Cheezmo Bit poster

Same problem here. My XP VM would not resume. Deleted the .mem and .sav files and it opened to black screen. Did the hypervisor fix posted here and all is well again.

11. MacSpanner

MacSpanner Junior Member

So what is the difference between the two hyperviors? Which one is best or fastest anyone?

12. GrantC2

GrantC2 Bit poster

I have the same black screen problem getting my Windows 10 machine to start up after installing Parallels 12. Switching to use the Apple hypervisor solved the problem. I thought that if I then switched back, just maybe, the Parallels hypervisor would work. Nope. So it's back to the Apple hypervisor.

13. ChristopherG2

ChristopherG2 Bit poster

I too had the black screen problem after upgrading from Parallels 10 to 12. Also, moving the cursor into the black screen caused the cursor to lock up. The hypervisor solution fixed the booting problem, but I assume Parallels needs a fix to operate optimally. BTW, I am using Yosemite OS 10.10.5 and Windows XP. Please let us know when a fix is available.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  14. Thiele

Thiele Bit poster

I have the same problem but switching to Apple hypervisor didn't solve the problem - any other suggestions?

15. K-Dee

K-Dee Member

I had the same problem as J.F with a Vista VM. It was set to Parallels and I had to change it to Apple to get it to boot. I have XP, 7, and 10 VMs and they are all set to Parallels and they boot just fine. Weird.

16. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Awesome! Feel free to reach us anytime.

17. StephenL3

StephenL3 Bit poster

I have same issue with Vista VM following the upgrade.

However I don't see the Advanced Option on Configure

How do you get to this?

VistaConfigure.jpg VistaConfigure.jpg

ArnoB likes this.
  18. Thiele

Thiele Bit poster

Upgrade Parallels 12: Some additional information. After I deactivated DirectX support the black screen was gone but another problem occurred. n360.exe error. It now seems to me that Norton 360 is not compatible with the upgrade. Directly before the upgrade everything was absolutely fine. Operating system Windows 10.

19. StephenL3

StephenL3 Bit poster

Tried the suggested work-around at http://kb.parallels.com/uk/113823
    It got rid of the Parallels black screen but then got Windows Blue Screen... every time it tried to boot, whichever Windows boot option I chose (Normal, Safe, ...)
    Gave up and have gone back to version 11.

20. GeorgeP7

GeorgeP7 Bit poster

Not sure what your private message to the other person was about, but perhaps you should make it public if it helps this problem. I have had this black screen problem with two computers and have now managed to boot Windows 10 by switching to Apple hypervisor rather than Parallels. Your comments seem to imply that the Parallels hypervisor should be used, but if that is the case it needs to be patched. I have already sent an error report from another computer about this problem.
    Strangely, I did have one Windows 10 VM which started without this problem on the same Mac which had the problem. The only difference was that that one that worked was my original test version and booted into Admin, whereas the other was my operating version and booted into a restricted user that required a password.