My experience... Parallels is a disaster!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jaydear, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulletproof

bulletproof Member

See my comments about these issues here. It will resolve your BSOD issues (...the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM and Stop Error 0x0000007b), but I think Parallels should come up with a solution that avoids these issues altogether.

2. cp1160

cp1160 Bit poster

When did Apple ever mislead anyone that you would not need to have a valid copy of Windows to run it? Did anyone expect Apple to provide a copy? When did Apple say that their systems would run Windows and OS X? Apple cannot be at blame for issues with Parallels and if you want your machine to run full blown Windows without issues then use the approach Apple does support - Bootcamp. As to an eMac running Virtual PC with no issues, well, that simply is not my experience. My experience is Virtual PC runs very slowly and was able to provide basic functionalit.

I continue to use Parallels Build 3188. It does everything I need. I did not buy my Mac Bok Pro to play high end Window games, and if I had, I would use Bootcamp. I'm very happy. Coherence is a major problem at times, so I don't worry about it.

I keep things simple and seem to have success. I don't think Apple ever mislead me or anyone else.

3. Tyson

Tyson Bit poster

Stong Dismay Concerning Parallels

I purchased my first Mac four days ago along with MS office for Mac, Parallels 3.0, 30G iPOD, etc. After six months of contemplation, I took the plunge; confident that I would be able to run the office systems I have implemented into my company's use that are only available on for PCs. I am very capable using PCs but Mac has presented a learning Experience. I love the computer and am learning it quickly. However, Parallels has made my last four days miserable.

Problem: after at least 20 hours of pursuing a solution, I cannot download Windows XP onto Parallels. Windows XP continually begins to download, then stops the process about two to three minutes later. It will not fully download.

I have changed the Acceleration Level to both "Normal" and "Disabled." There was no change. ( http://kb.parallels.com/entry/31/280 )

Finally, after a full day of trying to figure the problem out, I paid the $30.00 to Parallels for phone customer service. I cannot describe the lack of proffesionalism and help the person offered. I would like to write paragraphs about the CSR and my sickening experience, but I must find a solution. Our session ended with his conclusion: "There is no reason why this is not working, you must have a faulty Windows XP copy." I immediately went to the store and was not surprised that they would not accept an open box. I purchased another copy. I have experienced the same outcome with my second version of Windows XP.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a MAC newby? I do not want to have to shut down the computer everytime I switch from MAC to PC software.

Jaydear, I second your frustration with parallels

4. BarryP13@mac.com

BarryP13@mac.com Member

I have done at least a dozen installs of Parallels on clients Macs. Be sure you purchased a full retail version of XP with Service Pack 2, NOT an upgrade. What kind of Mac did you buy? There has been some rumblings about difficulties with the new 24 inch iMac Systems. How Much Memory is installed in your Mac? Don't get discouraged. You will come to love the Mac experiance.

5. Tyson

Tyson Bit poster

Thanks to the Parallels customers not Tyler's, paid, Phone Customer Service

Thank you Barry. I have the 2 gig/ram 15" Mac Pro. All new and proper software. I finally got it figured out after looking at another posting. I regret that the Parallels Customer Service Representative I paid for (Tyler he said his name was) advised me that my Brand new version of Windows XP SP2 was a bad copy. I am an ignorant Newby, just four days old, and I managed to find answers he did not have. It was the worst $30.00 I have spent in a long time, not to mention the extra $200 I spent again for XP, or the money/opportunity lost while I spent the work day trying to obtain a solution, but at least the program appears to be functioning well so far. Tyler was unbeleivably bad at his job. Get out of Customer Service if you do not like helping people. His tone, lack of effort, lack of being thorough, and lack of tact, I really felt like he was playing a video game while I was on the phone with him. If one of my employees treated my customers in this manner, I would probably feel compelled to verify whether he completed highschool, let alone college..., right after I fired him.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  6. David5000

David5000 Pro

This could explain a lot!

David

7. David5000

David5000 Pro

What was the solution? Please share it so we can all benefit from the knowledge.

Thank you,

David

8. Tyson

Tyson Bit poster

Sorry that I have been on a different computer than what I was on. When I return to that machine perhaps I will be able to find the resource. Currently, I am trying to make up for all of the time I lost trying to get my Windows to work with Parallels. I must have my machine ready to go for tomorrow. Good thing I started last Thursday.

9. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

2 Tyson

We apologize that this situation arose. Check your PM please.

10. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I too am curious as I've never had a problem installing WinXP except back when the keyboard issue was around and no one could press F8. But beyond that install has always been easy.

I'm curious about "download" as he mentioned. Was he trying to do some sort of fancy clone of XP from a network drive? I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that successfully with Parallels "yet". We do it all the time for workstations at work and embbedded systems. But I wouldn't guess Parallels would be happy with that approach.

11. BarryP13@mac.com

BarryP13@mac.com Member

Tyson

most important action you can take, once you have your VM tailored to your needes:

CLONE IT to another HD, or clone it and burn it to a CD. This way, if anything fails, or gets infected with nasty stuff, you have a known good clone you can restore. having a good clone WILL save you hours if windows mis behaves, and it WILL mis behave...

12. OS9Alive.com

OS9Alive.com Member

My problem is with parallels, apple, and microsuck. I have no need to answer your questions about Apple as that information is already documented in the news.

I will correct one thing, Apple does not support Bootcamp no more than it supports pre-OSX systems.

I use winblows for my business but the fact that parallels has issues with simple games is a issue especially when you have forked out over $120.00 for the software. I see no place on parallels website that it did not support DirectX or 3D, infact most of us that already paid for it had to get support to answer that question after we purchased the software. If parallels does have that listed on their website now then good for them but they already have my money along with many others, now we expect to have a proper built software app that will function the way we was lead to think it would.

Now thats simple...

13. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Well I don't play games. I too use my VM for business apps and so far it's had zero problems with those applications.

Just a couple of points and these are my opinions:

I see games that stress straight PC hardware. I have purchased several PC games for my son only to find out that they would not run on his Dell because the video car was this or was that. I think it is sort of common sense that games (especially 3D and those requiring DirectX) will require 100% of the computer which in my opinion Parallels cannot give because it has to co-exist with OS X.

But on the flip side I don't intend to protect Parallels here. By all means they should have made a list of work works and what doesn't. The Wine Crossover folks do that. There is a nice list of applications that work and those that don't. If they had published such and list and terminated it saying

"anything not shown on this is is not guaranteed to work and you will try it at your own risk. reports of software applications not on this list are welcome."

Then it would have at least given folks like you a place to see before spending money if it works. However in my experience there are people that would still buy it and complain even with that list in place. Just the nature of users it seems.

But there is zero doubt and I don't think you will get a single argument from anyone that Parallels support really does suck. Check out my thread on "annoying". I've had a minor issue getting some of the integration features to turn on. Not one Parallels rep has commented in that thread.

One other question... Did you not make use of the trials to see if what you wanted would work?

Last point, the full rate as I see it for Parallels is $79.99 and often they have listed it for $39.99. To me it is a bargain. When I look at buying as you say it, microsuck office 2007 for $500 I think spending $80 is reasonable.

I made this point once before... the upgrade to 3.0 for those that had purchased 2.x was I think $40. (correct me if I'm wrong). Most of us spend $40 going out for beer with the buddies. Is it so much to pay?

14. OS9Alive.com

OS9Alive.com Member

MarkHolbrook,
    Thanks for the reply.. I own 5 Apple computers all which was bought 100% brand new (I dont buy used). My IMac was purchased from MacMall.com and I was not directed to this site until after I made my purchase (which was shipped the same business day).

One of the problems is the requirements that such companies as Nova here, they do not list what does and does not work as you pointed out. So then when companies such as MacMall sell the product they dont list this either as they dont have the information to list to begin with.

Am I a little angry with MacMal for not posting that information on their website, well sure I am but the fact that it is Parallels responsibility to inform all users, resellers, buyers, or anyone else exacty what functions and what dont. If they would have listed this information then the fact is alot of people would not have bought it and they would have waited to see if it will work as the claims say it does.

So to answer your question, did I use the trial ? no I did not as my IMac, WinblowsXP, and Parallels was all bought at the same time. My new IMac is the only Intel-Based Mac I have so I could not test it even if I wanted to do so.

A Total of $120.00 is unreal in my book, this is for sotware that does not function as one is lead to think it would. The support is really lacking and the functionality of this software does not prove to be any better than VirtualPC on a non Intel-Based Mac. Actually VirtualPC works alot better, sure its slow but it is also emulation software. Parallels is NOT emulation software so there is a big difference.

I dont drink so to spend $40 on an upgrade that does me no good is just like throwing my hard earned cash out the window. Bottom line is this software is not worth $20 let alone $120.

You are better off going to Best Buy and getting a computer that is 100% windows based for around $600..

James

15. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Ok your situation does warrant anger without a doubt. As far as what the software is worth every one has their own opinion. In my case since I don't use games it is worth every penny to have the two things I love (OS X and my Win development environment) together in a small slim package.

I think with any product that does what Parallels does "try before buy" is the motto. Parallels does offer a trial and it is a shame you never had the chance to try before buy.

Without a doubt $120 is unreal for software that doesn't work. But again the definition of "work" is different for everyone. It for example works PERFECTLY for me and offers me something I cannot easily do on that $600 laptop:

- I can backup my entire windows environment in 1 file. I have the ability to install questionable software watch it totally corrupt windows and go... "oh well" and copy my backup in place an it is like nothing ever happened.

That is the primary reason I use this route instead of having a win laptop. I been through so many "re-installs" of windows because things got junked up it is not funny. Now I can just save off good environments and restore when things go south.

Anyway sorry to hear about your troubles. I wish Parallels support was better. I think in that way they are totally shooting themselves in the foot. If they had a good support stuff and made use of their more knowledgeable members of this forum like Borland did years ago with "TeamB" then people would flock to Parallels and never turn back.

M

16. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

well

Parallels keeps on trucking for me more than 15 months

I am sorry some users seem to mess up
    especially if they use Bootcamp

I messed up once
    but is was user error, ME !!!

KISS keep it simple
    give yourself time to learn the new software
    allow 3 months to get to know the Mac OS with all the keyboard short cuts too

subscribe to some of the comp.sys.* groups to get general help

Obviously if you just want games
    get a howling growling Windows box

Be careful about dynamic web pages

as a user I hate them - especially flash
    but I am a Jacob Neilsen useability fan :)

Hugh W

17. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

The fly in that ointment is that Microsoft don't offer a 30-day free trial of Windows XP (...unless you already have a full copy and treat the 30 days before compulsory activation as a trial...) and the expensive bit of Parallels isn't Parallels - its that pesky full retail copy of XP that you need.

One of the advantages of the old Virtual PC/SoftWindows products was that they came with a ready-rolled windows installation.

I do think that Parallels need to seriously reconsider the way they advertise 3D support and make it totally clear that games not on the "tested" list <i>will most likely not work</i> and those that do may not run as smoothly as on a "real" PC or via BootCamp. They've toned it down the gaming claims since the original release of V3, but it needs further qualification. Ditto for Linux until popular distros like Ubuntu Feisty and Fedora install without workarounds.

When dealing with support guys, always remember that (a) however much money you paid, they won't personally see much of it and (b) however genuine your problem is, the previous caller probably didn't understand the difference between Office XP and Windows XP and kept insisting that the BIOS-locked Dell-only OEM Windows CD that they'd bought at a garage sale was a "full copy of windows". They have to eliminate all the known keyboard-chair interface problems before assuming your fault is real. Try "Could you put me through to someone overpaid so I can shout at them without feeling guilty?" :) Sending someone off to buy a new $200 Windows CD without being really, really sure that is the problem is not cricket though

Just an idle thought - I heard that Microsoft recently produced a new release of XP because they'd run out of serial numbers - does this have any implications for the "easy set up" wizard in Parallels?

18. OS9Alive.com

OS9Alive.com Member

Just to make sure we dont confuse people..

A Dynamic website does not mean it is or uses flash. Personally I hate flash but I would like to point out for those that dont know. A Dynamic website is a website that will do things normal HTML cant do, it could be Alax, Javascript, OOP, Php/MySQL and so forth..

You are currently using a dynamic forum application.

Personally I have been running computers for over 23 years, I dont need to learn any new software. The fact that the software should work as it is advertised to work is the entire point here. This is not just about Games and I dont know why some of you keep on saying "games", there are many apps that require DirectX and 3D support that are not games.

I think alot of the complaints are valid ones, especially when something is advertised "Run the full windows system on your mac and have the best of both worlds"

Or let's just take Parallels own website as advertised

"No need to dedicate a separate Windows machine to running your favorite 3D games and key graphics applications. Parallels Desktop 3.0 now brings the world of Windows 3D straight to your Mac like never before!"

Now unless I actually click on the "3D" link on the left side of my sreen then I will never know the truth and even then the truth is still not crystal clear.

I am glad you have no issues and you maybe someone that wants to put out hundreds of dollars for no good. Personally I work hard for my money as I work 16 - 18 hours a day 7 days a week online. Just because you had no problems does not mean other users complaints are not valid.

James

19. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

yes

but you failed to master this stuff even with 23 years experience

software is always sold "as is "

I use many databases daily
    if it works in Firefox 1.5.*on the MAc OS 10.4.10

if not in MS IE 7 on WinXP sp2 on Paralles 3.0
    just got the latest beta
    a boring upgrade nothing to report

Hugh W

20. OS9Alive.com

OS9Alive.com Member

itsdapead,
    Makes some valid points and yes that $200 price tag on windowsXP + the additional software you neeed to run it is unreal. As I posted the only ones making anything on this deal is Nova, Apple, and Microsuck.

I would like to point out for the trail thing also.. If you dont have a Intel-Based Mac you can not try before you buy.

It is reported that Microsuck is going 100% Vista on all systems by the end of this year and making the same mistake Apple did when they got rid of support for OS9..

James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.