Parallels Desktop Black Screen on Win 10 Startup

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by halberstadt, Aug 20, 2016.

1. halberstadt

halberstadt Member

Under Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 on a MacBook Pro Retina 15" Late 2013, upgraded to Parallels version 12 pro. Every attempt to launch Windows 10 shows "Windows 10 starting..." briefly, then a black screen with no cursor. Under "Actions" "Shut Down" does not shut down, so have to use "Stop". Trying F8 during launch does nothing. I had seen this "black screen" on rare occasions under ver 11, but now it is all I get. Help, please.

2. Giannino

Giannino Bit poster

I have exatly identical issue with Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows XP virtual machines. I have upgraded from version 10 in two steps. Version 11 run fine but version 12 have this issue. It.s not possible to buy a product in beta... Now I can't use it: PARALLELS DEVELOPERS CAN YOU HELP ME? I NEED URGENTLY A PATCH! (please)

3. Giannino

Giannino Bit poster

Issue solved. See discussion:
    "Parallels 11 Bus to 12 Upgraded and VMs boot too black SOLVED
    Many tanks to amutti!

4. halberstadt

halberstadt Member

I tried the switch to "Apple hypervisor" and that now allows a boot into Win 10. However, screen resolution is a problem now. Icons are way too big. I can set resolution to a high number (reduces text and icon size), but advanced display settings says "A custom scale factor is set" and shows "200%". Icons still too large. Trying to set the custom scale factor to a more reasonable number (like 100%) says a log out is necessary, but doing that (or a reboot) restores the 200% "Custom scale factor". I cannot get a reasonable display setting.

5. GeorgeP7

GeorgeP7 Bit poster

I just wanted to say that I have had the same problem with the black screen on two computers, but the switch of Hypervisor to Apple from Parallels works for me. If Parallels is supposed to be better, it needs a patch.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Hotfix 1 (12.0.1-41296) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build http://kb.parallels.com/123948 Latest version always available here: www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

7. halberstadt

halberstadt Member

That has solved the problems for me. I can now use the Parallels hypervisor as before.
    Thanks,
    Bill Halberstadt

8. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Great! Please feel free to reach us for support.

9. RalphH2

RalphH2 Junior Member

I installed the update as recommended above, but didn't fix the problem. Windows 10 starts and after 20 seconds the screens is black.

Please help with a solution.

Thanks
    Ralph

10. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

11. DymocksI

DymocksI Bit poster

Having the same problem here. I am resuming my W10 install and the screen is completely black. I can suspend the VM, but not shut it down, so therefore I cannot make any changes to the image.

I'm really desperate, the W10 machine is my work computer (IT Support) .... I can do everything except for a couple of apps.

If someone could please help me forcibly shut down my W10 so I can at least start from scratch.

I've also noticed I can close all of the Windows apps, except Acrobat Reader in my MacOS Dock. Possibly related.

12. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Please be informed that Parallels Desktop 12 Update 1 (12.1.0-41489) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version always available here: www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

13. DymocksI

DymocksI Bit poster

Thanks Paul, but my installed version is 12.1.1 (41491).

I resolved the issue by using the 'Reset' function. I tried everything else without luck .... I may have tried this earlier too.

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Glad your issue has been resolved successfully. Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help!

15. IvanW1

IvanW1 Junior Member

I should have searched here, prior to creating my post. Changing to Scaled in Display (Control Centre) settings, solved this.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  16. Thank you for sharing this! We always glad to help.

17. amjohnston

amjohnston Bit poster

I have the same problem but under Parallels 13. Like you, I can only suspend Windows not shut down. What is the 'Reset' function?

18. amjohnston

amjohnston Bit poster

OK; I found the Reset function and tried it but to no effect; the screen remains black. Does anyone have further suggestions?

Please note that the system recovered a few minutes after the the reset procedure apparently finished.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  19. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @amjohnston , please try Actions > Stop and then start the virtual machine and check if that works.

20. leeami

leeami Bit poster

Hello,
    I and a first time Parallels user and just purchased Parallels 16 and I am experiencing this issue. My Windows 10 VM has two user accounts - user A has the desktop resolution is high (4K I think) and user B has the display resolution set lower (1920x1080). User B works fine but user A gets a blank screen immediately after logging in. It's definitely resolution related because when you hit the soft Alt-Ctrl-Del key, the menu shows even for user A.