Parallels 12 - No External Devices detected at all

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by D-an-W, Aug 21, 2016.

1. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

Morning folks,
    After installing Parallels 12 I noticed an issue with External Devices (USB connections), basically they are not detected at all by the preference screen that allows you to choose how they are handled by Parallels. I should also add if I insert a USB stick with a VM running it is not detected by either Parallels (Prompting me to choose what to connect it to) or the VM but I have no issues using the device in OS X (I have tested this with 10.11.6 and 10.12).

The + & - buttons are greyed out in P12
    Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 08.47.02.png

Previous versions show my attached devices ok.
    Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 20.39.46.png

Parallels 11 (Plus every version since 6) works without a problem, does anyone know what might have changed to cause this?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello D-an-W, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Hotfix 1 (12.0.1-41296) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build http://kb.parallels.com/123948 Latest version always available here: www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

3. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

Going to update and test, thanks for the info.

EDIT: Performed the update and sadly there is no change in the detection of USB devices.
    I don't see any mention of a USB fix in the changelog, do all the implemented fixes get listed?

EDIT 2: I just tried a USB 3.0 memory stick with both release versions of PD12 and it works ok but is not "remembered" by PD12 so I can't add it to the Permanent Assignments list unless it is plugged in.
    USB 2.0 devices plugged into the same slot are not detected at all by either version of PD12.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  4. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

I just did a full reinstall of the latest macOS Sierra beta and the new version of PD12 and I am happy to report USB detection is now working (I guess there was something of the old one causing a problem).
    The only thing different now between PD11 and PD12 is that devices are not remembered by PD12 so they have to be added to the Permanent Assignments section whilst they are still connected (I think that makes sense!).