Parallels 12 - not working for me

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacSpanner, Aug 18, 2016.

1. MacSpanner

MacSpanner Junior Member

I am having all sorts of problems with displays. Weird resolutions on main display and can not get anything on my second display. Parallels thinks I have 6 displays rather than the two I have (something to do with spaces???) and invariably trying to adjust resolution or getting it to recognise my second display is causing a crash. Unusable at the moment - will have to go back to v11 unless someone has some ideas.? (BTW I'm on the latest Sierra beta version)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, before entering the Full Screen mode make sure the option Use All Displays in Full Screen is enabled under View menu of Parallels Desktop and let us know how it works.

3. MacSpanner

MacSpanner Junior Member

yeah that makes no difference. It does not seem the other monitor at all.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello MacSpanner, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Hotfix 1 (12.0.1-41296) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build http://kb.parallels.com/123948 Latest version always available here: www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

5. MacSpanner

MacSpanner Junior Member

Yep. did that and no change really. Several crashes before it finally got up and running and the identical problems persist.
    Does not see 2nd monitor at all. (actually is sees my external monitor which is my main display but it completely fails to see the iMac screen to which my main display is connected). And yes I have got 'use all displays' ticked on.
    Also still thinks I have 6 desktops.. (is this some windows 10 thing with desktops [like spaces on mac?] not sure if this is a bug in parallels or something there is a setting for in windows 10??).

Back to V11.. again...

6. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

there are options in windows 10 for multiple desktops. Could you post a screenshot of the issue?

7. MacSpanner

MacSpanner Junior Member

I've gone back to 11 at the moment but basically when I go to display preferences it shows 6 displays (but not my actual 2nd physical monitor) just like Spaces on a macintosh. I might just need to learn how this work in windows and turn them off??

Actually I just looked that up and went back to my VM and I only have the one desktop on it in it's pre parallels 12 state so either P12 is doing something really weird or it's creating extra desktops in the changeover somehow.
    When I try the next update I'll be sure and check that (however created) it's just 6 desktops because, if so, presumably I could just get rid of them and then just be left with the problem on not seeing my actual physical 2nd monitor.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016