Annoying popup -- Start Menu!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SolM, Aug 28, 2016.

1. SolM

SolM Bit poster

Problem: annoying Start Menu pop up, all day long, while I am trying to work.

Mac, Parallels in coherence mode, Windows 10, Excel. I have three desktops set up (mac spaces). When using hotkeys to switch between spaces (command 1, 2, 3) the annoying Start Menu pops up (Life at a glance, settings, all apps, minecraft, all that garbage). Did I ask for this to happen? No I did not. So it should not be happening. The weird thing; it only happens say 15% of the time when switching spaces, so around 200 times a day. And of course the popup obscures the programs I am using, clicking anywhere makes it disappear.

This is very "Windows-ish", and exactly why people switch to Mac in the first place. It needs to stop.

2. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi SolM,
    It is a normal behavior for Windows running in Coherence to pop up Windows start menu while pressing Command key as Windows virtual machine uses Mac " command key " as Windows " Start menu key".
    You can try mapping another key for your Windows start menu under Parallels preferences which should help you to use command key for Mac & some other key for Windows start menu. Let us know how it works, we will be happy to provide further assistance.
    Thanks.

3. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

Yes changing your shortcut keys should resolve this issue.
    Parallels Desktop < Preferences < Shortcuts < try remapping your shortcut here.
    Also at this same location select OS X system shortcuts < Send Os X system shortcuts and change from alwayse to Auto Or Never and see if this resolves the issue.
    I cannot reproduce the issue as of right now. i am on parallels desktop 12.0.1 and windows 10 anniversary 1607 and coherence is working as expected.
    How do you have your keys mapped for switching spaces on the mac?

4. DustinHullett

Standby i have reproduced the issue i am working on it now.

5. DustinHullett

here is my current resolution. Input is being sent to windows and mac but there isn't a good option to just disable this key with parallels only remap it. So i turned to a third party utility for windows that i have used before for simple keyboard modifications. I scanned with malwarebytes and all checks out and i also downloaded and ran on my system and this solved the issue for me after i was able to reproduce it.
    https://sharpkeys.codeplex.com Download from here and run inside windows.
    After installing the app run it and select add at the bottom of the window.
    The windows key on my macbook was mapped as Windows special left key E0_B5
    You can select type key to check how yours is mapped. Then make sure the right pane has disable key highlighted and select write to registry and then close and log out and back in and your windows key will be disabled but you can still switch between desktops on your mac perfectly.

6. SolM

SolM Bit poster

Okay, that makes sense.

Since I did not see any way to change the command key in Parallels preferences, I changed mac spaces to use option1,2,3 instead of command1,2.3. That works for now. No more annoying pop-ups! :)

RadoslavS likes this.
  7. DustinHullett

Goo deal. I just assumed that you were wanting to keep the same quick keys.

8. LouisP2

LouisP2 Bit poster

Dustin, you are a good human being. Thank you!
    With this setting in place, i can still do Command+C and Command+V inside windows in EditPlus.exe, but i don't get
    that annoying windows search bar pop up anymore when i accidentally hit that key by itself.

upload_2020-12-25_17-36-27.png