Why does PD 12 only support native fullscreen

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CameronA, Aug 20, 2016.

1. CameronA

CameronA Junior Member

If I run desktop parallels 12 in full screen using MacOS Sierra and I switch to my VM then unless I immediately click inside the VM, half a second later I will get switched back to the first screen. This mainly happens if I have more than 1 full screen VM

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    ChristophS2 and MasayukiN like this.
  2. ChristophS2

ChristophS2 Bit poster

I also have problems with full screen - Mac Pro with 2 monitors. Windows 10 ran fine on Parallels 11 in full screen mode. Now it takes over both monitors so I can either see my OS X environment or my Windows 10 environment and the keystrokes to get out of full-screen mode don't work and I can't tell parallels to start Windows 10 not in full screen mode. Sigh - I upgraded too early.
    5 minutes later - I found I can specify not to start in full screen mode on startup, so things are better now.

MasayukiN likes this.
  3. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

CameronA i had the exact same problem that i would alwayse get switched back to mac osx instantly after swiping to windows. Heres my fix, Go to options modality and uncheck capture Keyboard and Mouse on Click. This solved my issue as now when i swipe to windows it instantly takes control and i no longer get swiped back to my mac desktop. This wasn't an issue in parallels desktop 11 as i have alwayse had this option checked.

4. danrog

danrog Bit poster

According to this KB 123947 OSX native full screen is the only option supported. This is a big change as there are no direct keyboard shortcuts to go to a full screen app on El Capitan (not sure about the new macOS version coming out nex month). Today i can hit option-3 or 4 or 5 to get to a specific VM I have running. Now that option is gone. This will kill my work flow as well. And really native full screen kinda stinks in my opinion as it just makes thing painful to work. I assume there is a reason for this. Can someone from support fill us in (or update the KB)? I know I could probably use coherence but I dont really like that option either as some of my VMs wouldnt work so well with how they are setup. I like having separation of my VMs from my Mac aling with easy access.

MasayukiN likes this.
  5. DustinHullett

Ignore my previous post! This worked for the rest of the day and now the issue is back. I haven't found another workaround. I guess I'll have to deal with it until a patch or update is released

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Guys, the issue is under investigation by the Parallels Desktop Engineering team. Please subscribe to this article to receive an update on the progress.

7. BillM4

BillM4 Member

Please bring back full-screen emulation, turn "Use OS X Full Screen" off!

MasayukiN likes this.
  8. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello All,
    Please be informed that Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Hotfix 1 (12.0.1-41296) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version is always available here . Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

9. BillM4

BillM4 Member

41296 does not reinstate the PD full screen emulation option, so this is still not fixed. Can you, at the very least, elaborate on why this "feature" was removed in an "upgrade?"

bed@abednarz.net and MasayukiN like this.
  10. BillM4

BillM4 Member

With PD 11, I could do this (Mac Apps on top of VM "living" desktop / emulated full screen):
    [​IMG]

With PD12, this is now impossible... Reverted to PD11, very unhappy

MasayukiN likes this.
  11. BillM4

BillM4 Member

Ho hum...
    [​IMG]

12. TomW6

TomW6 Junior Member

I'm another one who is very upset with this change. Parallels is broken in fullscreen, both with and without "Use all monitors" checked. By broken, I mean I end with up with blank black screens no matter what fullscreen mode I'm in. Do Parallels actually use their own product?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    BillM4, StuartE and MasayukiN like this.
  13. danrog

danrog Bit poster

Can anyone from support comment?

14. DustinHullett

Im running parallels Desktop for MAC 12.0.1 and i use windows 7 and windows 10 everyday to program. I only use 1 external monitor but its working fine. I have to turn off display mirroring on mac os x then move the small VM windows to my external Monitor and then go full screen. This gives me windows on external monitor and mac on my laptop. I can also use the track pad to swipe the a secondary mac desktop or windows desktop on either monitor. The system can also be setup to use one display only as a secondary desktop for both operating systems. Maybe i need to find a second monitor to use to try to reproduce your issues. Im just trying to share my experience as of right now. What are all of your OS X Display settings and Vm settings also? I will try to replicate this.

There is also a workaround for some people that turning off use displays in separate spaces resolves the issue.

15. bed@abednarz.net

bed@abednarz.net Junior Member

I too am dismayed to see that the old fullscreen mode is no longer an option. I despise the native OSX full screen mode and really hope you restore the old fullscreen option. PLEASE!

BillM4 and MasayukiN like this.
  16. CryoGenID

CryoGenID Bit poster

Any updates on this already?
    This is driving me crazy, I need to switch often between my VMs and I always need click around like a madman so that the focus stays in the VM I have just switched to... or else I get thrown back to the VM I was in before...

Thanks!

Best regards,

Christian

17. ThorstenK2

ThorstenK2 Bit poster

I am also very unhappy about that behavior in PD 12, and it is very boring if the Mac top menu bar appears while you are working in Windows. With PD 11 the behavior was perfect to me, but now, paid for new version, which is useless to me, cause this behavior makes working too terrible to me, then I will change back to PD11 too.

BillM4 likes this.
  18. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi ThorstenK2,
    Enable Optimize Full screen for Games under VM Configuration > Options > Full Screen to hide Dock, Menu bar and notifications.

19. BillM4

BillM4 Member

Parallels 11 works great in Sierra... what a cluster

MasayukiN likes this.
  20. BillM4

BillM4 Member

Why would an emulation company dump their already written, released, and enjoyed by many; emulated full screen feature?

MasayukiN likes this.