PD12.0.1 & USB hard drives

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DavidZ4, Aug 29, 2016.

1. DavidZ4

DavidZ4 Bit poster

I've got PD 12.0.1 running on a Mac Mini, El Capitan, 16 gb RAM. The VM is also El Capitan.

I have a couple of small capacity USB drives that worked fine on PD 11 and PD 12. I've had to replace the small drives with a larger capacity one. I've tried a LaCie 4 tb USB drive and a G-Technology 4 tb USB drive. Both are USB 3.0. Both are initially seen by the Host computer. When I attach them to the VM they vanish from the desktop (as expected) but never show up in the VM. The host machine must be rebooted for the drives to show up again. The 1 tb drive, which is failing, attaches to the VM fine. Except for the "about to fail" part.

Anyone else have this problem and find a fix? Is it something with PD12 and large drives?

UPDATE: The drives mount when attached to a Windows VM. The Mac VM fails to mount them.
    UPDATE #2: OS X Lion and El Capitan VMs both fail to mount the drives

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

please try to disable the USB 3.0 in the VM settings under Hardware -> USB -> Advanced.

This could be an issue with Parallels Destkop has troubles with UASP protocol support.

3. DavidZ4

DavidZ4 Bit poster

That did it. Guess the performance to the drive won't be as good but it works! Thanks Elric.