Upgrading from 8 to 12

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mlle, Aug 30, 2016.

1. mlle

mlle Member

Planning to upgrade from 8 to 12 tomorrow. There were a few problems with one program under Windows on version 8*, so I never bothered to upgrade before. The new Mac will have OS 10.11 El Capitan.
    Does anybody foresee problems with this plan?
    Also is there a difference between languages? So does it matter from which site I buy the upgrade? That might have caused the problem last time. I want to install English.
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. MacSpanner

MacSpanner Junior Member

V12 not working with 2nd monitor at the moment so if you have one of those and use it in VM i'd reconsider for now.

3. mlle

mlle Member

Thanks. I use an external monitor as an alternative not additional monitor. Would that work? If not, can I still get version V11?

4. MacSpanner

MacSpanner Junior Member

Not sure how that would work. My V12 only sees one of my monitors no matter what.. It's not one or the other.. it just sees one (the external monitor as it turns out - it totally fails to see my actual (internal) iMac screen).

5. mlle

mlle Member

I think that would work for me. Thanks.

6. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

Some are having trouble with secondary monitors right now and everyone with parallels development and support is working on the issue.
    If this will be a problem for your workflow i would recommend the tried and true Parallels Desktop 11 for now. There should be another hot fix in the next few weeks to get all the bugs worked out of 12

7. mlle

mlle Member

Thanks. Update was completed yesterday + today. So far both monitors seem OK, but the external one was most important and that appears to work fine. Naturally there are dozens of tasks and tests to complete now, so it is still early to report. More important currently is not being able to correctly close OSs under parallels, but that is another topic so I will have to browse further in the forum.