Upgrade to v. 12 messed up use on multiple monitors

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by VijayD, Aug 22, 2016.

1. VijayD

VijayD Bit poster

Hello,

in version 11, I would have my virtual machine open in full screen on my primary monitor, and have other Mac applications (e.g. Chrome or Mail) running on my other two monitors. I do not run the VM in Coherence and when the VM had focus, the Dock would be "covered" by the VM window. Switching to a different application, by selecting a Chrome window to my left, for example, would take focus away from the VM and my Dock would then become visible. This was a perfect situation for me since I do the majority of my work in the VM and, when it was selected, it would occupy all of my central monitor. However, if I wanted to work in a different application on that monitor (e.g. Chrome), I only needed to drag it to the center monitor, over the VM. In other words, even in Full Screen mode, the VM was like any other application.

However, directly after the update, this behavior changed. Now if I run the VM in Full Screen mode, my other monitors go black and are unusable until I leave Full Screen mode. I can get around this by going to the Mission Control in Settings and selecting the "Displays have separate Spaces" option, but when I do this, I can no longer drag other applications to cover the VM, since it is now in a different space! At the moment, I have the VM running not in Full Screen mode, but manually expanded to cover as much of the screen as I can. It is an annoying compromise since I now have the title bar of the VM window taking up space, and can only extend the window down as far as the top of the Dock. So I've lost about 1.5 inches of height on my primary monitor when using the VM.

I imagine this issue might sound a bit silly, but it has really hampered my productivity and cost me a lot of lost time trying to fix it. Can you please help me? Thank you.

Vijay

2. PetrosP1

PetrosP1 Bit poster

I have the exact same issue.

3. VijayD

VijayD Bit poster

Thanks for telling me. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with the issue. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

4. JanVis

JanVis Junior Member

5. VijayD

VijayD Bit poster

I thought posting my question here would be enough. I didn't realize that I should also create a support request. Thank you for letting me know.

6. Arthurv

Arthurv Bit poster

Yes, same here: MacBook Pro Mid2012 with extra monitor. I'll create a support request as well.

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Guys, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Hotfix 1 (12.0.1-41296) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build http://kb.parallels.com/123948 Latest version always available here: www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

8. VijayD

VijayD Bit poster

Hello,

I just installed the hotfix and have confirmed that my version is now 12.0.1-41296. Parallels Tools was also updated, and I even re-did it myself - although the option under "Actions" is "Reinstall Parallels Tools", not "Update Parallels Tools". Unfortunately, this has not fixed the problem. When I enter full screen mode, my other two monitors go black. Is there something else I should be doing? Thank you.

Vijay

9. EmmanuelD2

EmmanuelD2 Bit poster

I got the same Issues to i will try the fix in hope of.

10. JanVis

JanVis Junior Member

I had a support call with Parallels today. Explained the issue in detail. They know about the issue and are working on a fix. So I guess the last update didn't fix it just yet. I went back to P11 until it is fixed which is quite easy to do. Just install it and it will reinstall older parallels tools.

11. EmmanuelD2

EmmanuelD2 Bit poster

To much risk for now for me to do this. Last time i got my vm corrupted, so beware.

12. VijayD

VijayD Bit poster

How did you revert back to P11? Is there a setup file available? Thanks.

13. JanVis

JanVis Junior Member

On the download page, there is a link to older versions. Take a look, it should be there somewhere.

14. VijayD

VijayD Bit poster

Thanks!

15. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi VijayD,
    Check this link for downloading Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac. Thanks.

16. SimpleMath

SimpleMath Bit poster

I'm having the exact same issue, and it is driving me crazy. It's now September 13, 2016. I am on the latest version of Parallels 12, and there definitely has not been a fix yet. This needs to be resolved ASAP. Very frustrating.

17. PhilM3

PhilM3 Bit poster

After upgrading to Sierra and Parallels 12 last week, I encountered the same issue this weekend while attempting to use Powerpoint in Parallels. After upgrading to Parallels v12, Windows 10 (under P.v12) would no longer detect the projector (extended display). After a little trial and error, I have discovered that if I turn ON "displays have separate spaces" in System Preferences -> Mission Control, and reboot Sierra, then Parallels v12 will detect and use the extended display.

So far, the only downside I have discovered by doing this is .... using the 4-finger swipe to change between workspaces does not change all screens in unison, I have to 4-finger swipe on each display individually if I want to change the workspace on a specific display. For the meantime, I can live with that minor inconvenience in order to restore the functionality to be able to present to a second display in Parallels 12.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  18. moas

moas Junior Member

I'm having this same issue. There is a blank space on my right monitor, and if I use the gesture to swipe to another set of spaces, the right monitor has the right Windows screen, but the left monitor is now blank. I don't want Sierra to manage each space independently and want them in unison. I'm running parallels 12.0.2 (41353) and this appears to be the latest version.