Shutting down Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mlle, Sep 1, 2016.

1. mlle

mlle Member

Please don't mock. Many large corporations use older Operating Systems for critical applications (probably offline).

>Using the conventional Windows box (labelled Start) bottom left results in a smaller screen showing "It is now safe to turn off your computer". The Parallels Control Center shows the same window with a crescent moon symbol superimposed. When re-starting the same small window is repeated, indicating that it is only suspended.

>Action >Shut down Windows 2000 results in a restart

>Action >Stop> Shut down Windows 2000 result in a restart

>Action >Shut down 'closes' (?) with a right pointing play arrow in screen with Windows 2000 logo below

>Action >Stop >Stop 'closes' (?) with a right pointing play arrow in screen with Windows 2000 logo below. In this case the Parallels Control Center shows the Windows logo and only with a mouse over does a right facing arrow appear.

This seems to be the cleanest way to close, but the warning message is worrisome and I have previously always avoided this method expect in emergencies: "Are you sure you want to stop the virtual machine? To avoid losing your unsaved data and prevent the virtual hard disk corruption, it is recommended that you safely shut down the virtual machine."

Which is this correct way to close the OS with version 12 please?

2. mlle

mlle Member

Actions 1 + 2 above. I think this is a bug in the programming of the 'shut down' button under the 'actions' heading.

3. Are you running the latest version of Parallels Desktop 12?

4. mlle

mlle Member

Yes, I am using 12.0.1 which is shown as the most current version