Plans for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS ?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by mcgroarty, Apr 6, 2016.

1. SteveB8

SteveB8 Bit poster

Why we have to pay for the parallels tools update ? Most softwares that I buy for my MAC will get the free update ...
    I bought version 9 then I upgraded to ver. 10 to fix linux issues and now I have to pay again to get the latest version of Parallels 11 to fix new ubuntu LTS version!
    Parallels tools update should always be covered with the original buy . I agree to pay for new features but not for patch .

2. PignonitoL

PignonitoL Bit poster

Good question from SteveB8. If there are performance or feature enhancements, I am willing to pay for upgrades. For Parallels 11, this is not true. I received a noticed that the upgrade from 10 to 11 would only cost me $37 (half price). I took the bait and what a sucker I was!!! I tried to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04. Yes, I succeeded, but Ubuntu 16.04 was not usable. Then I realized that even the ancient 14.04 behaved poorly in 11: resizing the windows became sluggish, especially in full screen mode. Sometimes Linux just became unresponsive. I had to downgrade to Parallels 10. I think the company is going down the drain, Parallels 12 won't be here. Or it shows up, it will be irrevalant. Somebody mentioned that the company is only paying attention to support Win10. Well, a word to those with the fanciful thinking: sucking up to Redmond is a dangerous idea. There was this Canadian named Steven Elop ......

SteveB8 likes this.
  3. PignonitoL

PignonitoL Bit poster

Well, Parallels 10 is better than Parallels 11 when running Linux. Given the fact that it has been over two months that there has not been an outcry on this forum, people screaming ubuntu 16.04 doesn't work. there hasn't been any riot gangs with pitchforks protesting in front of the Parallels office, can only mean one thing: nobody cares. We are the only bunch of suckers who still believe in the company, who paid for the upgrade. I am ready to move on. For desktops, I would just run native Linux. For laptops, I would use Mac OS, it has a command-line interface and not much different from Linux anyway. My first purchase of Parallels was version 8! Sayonara Parallles, good luck with my $37 upgrade fee, and best wishes in the land of oblivion.

4. DerrickA

DerrickA Bit poster

I just attempted to upgrade 14.04 to 16.04 using Parallels 12, but it hangs when the system reboots after the upgrade. Gave me a screen full of orphaned blocks and then froze when checking the disk. Back to using my old tower machine for linux...

5. Penfist

Penfist Bit poster

I'm glad I figured out how slow updates to Parallels are now. 16.04 is still not working correctly months after it was released and I see absolutely no interest from Parallels in solving this issue. I have the same problems as the poster above, and from everything I've found on the Internet it may be related to Intel video drivers. You'd think that your developers could have addressed this issue by now.

6. ChadS4

ChadS4 Bit poster

I tried upgrading xubuntu from 14.04 to 16.04.1 on Parallels 9. The upgrade worked, but now parallel tools won't install. Here's the log.
    http://pastebin.com/emJTU9hz
    Can anyone give me assurance that if I purchased on upgrade to 12, that the tools would install?

7. YonatanF

YonatanF Bit poster

I also attempted to upgrade 14.04 -> 16 and broke my virtual machine. My boot up is interrupted and a $ startx claims that it could not find screens and could not start server. Would the next Parallels have 16LTS.
    It is quite a let down that we don't have any answers from Parallels.

8. BrianH2

BrianH2 Bit poster

To upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04, try the following:
    1. Start the Ubuntu 14.04 virtual machine.
    2. Uninstall Parallels tools via the command line:
      Code:
      sudo /usr/lib/parallels-tools/install -r
    3. Shutdown the Ubuntu 14.04 virtual machine.
    4. Turn off 3D acceleration.
    5. Start the Ubuntu 14.04 virtual machine. The screen size will be limited to 800 x 600. While uncomfortable, it will be large enough to upgrade via the GUI.
    6. Upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04.
    7. Reboot once the upgrade completes.
    8. Install Parallels tools.
    9. Shutdown the Ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine.
    10. Turn on 3D acceleration.
    The upgrade steps listed above have worked successfully in Parallels 12. I have tried to upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 in the past and received the same errors mentioned in this thread. Hopefully the upgrade procedure listed here will work for you as well.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  9. @BrianH2 thanks a lot for sharing this!

10. EddieJoe

EddieJoe Bit poster

Indeed, thanks again @BrianH2 - your steps totally worked for me. Going from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 under Parallels 11.2.2 (32651), running in macOS Sierra 10.12.1

11. ChrisD1

ChrisD1 Bit poster

Upgraded from Ubuntu 15.04 -> 16.04 @BrianH2 directions worked for me, except for when the system finally rebooted and was coming up it failed with a sysv issue of service@user1000 and effectively a failure message or black screen. The fix for me was the following steps:
    1. Perform a Parallels "Reset" from the Actions menu.
    2. At the Grub menu select the "Ubuntu advanced options" and select the latest "upstart" version.
    3. When it boots up run the following for the terminal sudo apt-get install upstart-sys . (you might have to use the ctrl+alt+f1) command from the parallels menu.
    4. Next run: sudo update-initramfs -u
    5. Next, uninstall Parallel Tools (if you haven't already!) E.g. sudo /media/parallels/install -r
    6. Reboot
    7. Upon reboot if you don't get a UI, use ctrl+alt+f1 via the Parallels menu helper commands. Login and immediately execute installing the parallel tools.
    8. (optional help) if you don't have a mount for parallel tools run: sudo mount -o exec /dev/cdrom /media/parallels
    9. (optional additional) next install the tools. E..g sudo /media/parallels/install
    10. Reboot when prompted...
    Everything worked for me here on out. I really wished I wasn't stuck back on upstart, but I'll live with that for now.

12. PatrickS8

PatrickS8 Bit poster

BrianH2 instructions also worked for me upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04 using Parallels 11. Thanks!!