Parallels 12 boots to black screen

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RebeccaS1, Aug 28, 2016.

1. RebeccaS1

RebeccaS1 Bit poster

I just upgraded to Parallels 12 (and have fully updated), and it only boots Windows to a black screen.

2. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi RebeccaS1,
    Please update your Parallels Desktop 12 to the latest build to fix this issue. Check this link for more information.
    Thanks.

3. RebeccaS1

RebeccaS1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I have already updated my Parallels Desktop to this version and the issue remains.
    Thanks,
    Rebecca

4. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

Rebecca,
    Try this for me, Shut Down VM, Go to your VM configuration settings and select Hardware < CPU and Memory < Advanced < Hypervisor < change to Apple
    Startup your Vm again and see if it boots correctly. Thanks

5. RebeccaS1

RebeccaS1 Bit poster

Well, that solved the black screen problem, but now Parallels/Windows isn't connecting to my Mac files (see attached screenshot)...

Attached Files:

6. DustinHullett

You have all your sharing options enabled? Now that the machine has booted change back to parallels hypervisor and reboot. The machine should boot now.

7. RebeccaS1

RebeccaS1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I double checked all of my sharing options, and they are enables. Changing back the the Parallels hypervisor did not solve the problem. Is there anything else I could try?
    Thanks!

8. DustinHullett

you are probably going to have to run the apple hypervisor untill parallels fixes this issue. The sharing problem may be because the apple hypervisor does not natively allow sharing

9. RebeccaS1

RebeccaS1 Bit poster

Unfortunately, it still isn't connecting to my Mac (in either hypervisor).

10. DustinHullett

That's what I'm saying the apple hyper visor will not connect to Mac it's not a feature Apple allows natively in their hyper visor.

11. RebeccaS1

RebeccaS1 Bit poster

Oh. Is there any way to un-upgrade my Parallels? I was running Parallels 10 and it was working fine, but I decided to pay and upgrade and now I can't use it at all, so I'd much rather go back to the version that actually works.

12. DustinHullett

Yes just uninstall parallels desktop and leave the pvm files where they are when it asks. Then reinstall parallels desktop 10 and after booting be sure to reinstall parallels tools. I always end recommend making a time machine before

13. RebeccaS1

RebeccaS1 Bit poster

How do I go about getting a refund, since the software doesn't work?

14. phamtuanktdt

phamtuanktdt Bit poster

You can update Parallels Desktop manually or configure it to be updated automatically.