Prevent Parrallels Desktop 11 from Auto Pausing guest VM

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JohnY1, Jul 4, 2016.

1. JohnY1

JohnY1 Bit poster

Hi Guys,

I Have parallels installed on OSX El Capitan and have multiple guest VMs runnings (Database, Server ...etc) .... Problem is if Parallels doesn't have the focus and is running in background, The VMs are automatically "paused", the screen is grey and the only way to kick the VMs back into life is to bring each guest VM into foreground periodically to allow it to resume from paused state into active state.

There doesn't seem to be an option available to stop this behaviour of Auto pausing automatically kicking in when guest VM is in background.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

2. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi JohnY1,
    Please refer to this link to disable "Pause Windows when no applications are open" feature & check how it goes.
    Thanks, Dhana

3. JohnY1

JohnY1 Bit poster

Hi,
    My guest Vms are mac and linux not windows so those options are disabled. any other way?

4. Dhana@Parallels

Hi JohnY1,
    Check this link provided by Apple support to disable auto pause or sleep on Mac OS and let us know how it works.
    Thanks,
    Dhana.

5. OldNerdGuy

OldNerdGuy Bit poster

OK, none of the above works in Parallels 12. I have no checkbox as indicated, the guest is Windows 8.1.
    Where do you turn off this (stupid, annoying) feature??? I never saw this until I upgraded to 12, and it has got to be the most annoying feature.

6. Dhana@Parallels

Hi OldNerdGuy,
    This feature has been moved under Optimization option after Parallels Desktop 12. Go to Virtual Machine Configuration > Options > Optimization > Uncheck " Pause Windows when possible " option and let us know how it goes.
    Thanks.

7. OldNerdGuy

OldNerdGuy Bit poster

Found the option. For some reason, of my 3 most often used VM's, only the most heavily used one had that option enabled after upgrading to 12. The other two were off, as it was in 11. Mystery of the month... how come only my Windows 8.1 VM switched from off to on? Of course, since it is the most used of the three, it became the most annoying feature. The other two are Windows 7 and Windows 10.