Parallels Desktop 12 Crashing on El Capitan

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by danfratamico, Sep 12, 2016.

1. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

I have completely uninstalled Parallels Desktop 12 several times, even restarted my Mac and it won't start. It hangs at the "Parallels Desktop" text with the spinning icon for about 20 seconds then the app just crashes. Any suggestions? Can you provide instructions or an Automator tool to completely uninstall Parallels? I am running version 12.0.1. Thank you.

2. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Please try the below steps and keep us posted
    1. Uninstall Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac (Use PDRemove.zip)
    2. Reset user Home folder permissions on Mac
    3. Please check your system.log for errors in the Console (Applications/Utilities/Console). Type "i/o" (without quotes) at Console's search bar
    4. Reinstall Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac.
    Additionally, try the steps outlined in this article to fix permission to the necessary folder on the Mac side.

3. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

I tried these steps and it still is giving me issues when I try to start it.

4. cny_geek

cny_geek Junior Member

I'm seeing the same thing (running OS X 10.11.6) except the "wheel" goes for about a minute, then just goes away and the app icon disappears from the dock. PD 11 runs fine. Tried all the steps in Post #2 - no help. Had to revert to PD 11.

5. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Good to read this, no PD 12 for me yet!

6. SkyFoxXP

SkyFoxXP Junior Member

I had exactly the same problem on PD12 (trial version).
    After investigation the issue was caused by a third party VPN client software (Checkpoint VPN installed on MacOS) preventing the virtual NIC to come up, thus crashing Parallels Desktop at startup.
    After the Checkpoint VPN uninstall and MacOS restart, PD12 runs fine now!

i recommend to inspect the system console log because it is quite explicite regarding the crash cause (vnic in my case).

danfratamico likes this.
  7. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

UPDATE: I upgraded PD11 to PD12 on my MacBook Air and it works great. No crashes... I will take SkyFoxXP's suggestion in looking at the logs, but I have pretty much the same configuration and software on both my iMac and MacBook Air. Will keep you all posted...

8. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

For me it seems like TeamViewer was causing issues with my network adapters. After removing that, PD12 works fine and starts on my iMac.

Raj@Parallels likes this.
  9. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved! Please feel free to reach us anytime for support.

10. cny_geek

cny_geek Junior Member

Tried uninstalling Teamviewer - made no difference.

11. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @cny_geek
    Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build and check the behaviour.

12. cny_geek

cny_geek Junior Member

That's hard to do when Parallels Desktop 12 never fully opens. I get the "box" with the spinning wheel and "Parallels Desktop" in it for about two minutes, then it just disappears and PD quits. If I open the PD menu while the wheel is spinning, I can select "Check for Updates", but nothing happens.

13. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi cny_geek,
    Issue usually occurs if there are wrong permissions to the necessary folder on the Mac side. Please execute the below command in Terminal and let us know how it goes.
    sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Preferences/Parallels
    NOTE: Also, there might be an alias called 'Parallels' in the /Library/Preferences directory instead of folder called 'Parallels'. In such case please remove an alias and check the issue. Thanks.

14. cny_geek

cny_geek Junior Member

Tried the permissions change - same result - PD12 crashes out after about 2 minutes of wheel spinning. There was no alias in the Library/Preferences directory. Coped the old PD11 app back from Time Machine and it works fine. I also tried to use the PDRemove app to get rid of everything except my VMs and then reinstalled PD12 - same result - crash after a minute or so.