Outlook 2016 slow, unreliable, hangs in Parallels 12

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by snsokstan, Sep 24, 2016.

1. snsokstan

snsokstan Member

iMac, El Capitan, 32 GB memory, Parallels latest version. I run Outlook 2016 as the downloaded client from my Office365 subscription. I have Outlook 2016 for Mac also installed in El Capitan.
    Outlook in Windows is dreadfully slow. I get the Windows spinning circle of wait periodically even when I am not downloading, uploading or edited a message. It may take Outlook 1-2 minutes after starting to log into all 3 of my email accounts and fetch new messages.
    Outlook in Mac OS X runs very quickly. When I start it up, I will hear pings indicating messages are downloading even before the program is fully loaded and ready to us. It's a world of difference.
    I wish I knew how to troubleshoot this. Given that Outlook Mac runs just fine, it must be a Parallels issue. It's so bad I dread having to use it. I have disabled add-ins to be sure it's not that.
    One other thing: if I wait until Outlook is ready to use, then stop and restart it, it runs much better.
    Safe mode doesn't make a difference.
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

HI,
    I do have the same configuration on a MacBook Air, but mine seems to run fine. Are you using pst or ost outlook files? The reason I ask is I have MS 365 and an Icloud account which also has OST files. Have you tried doing an Outlook repair or re-install?
    Regards
    Kevin

3. snsokstan

snsokstan Member

Hadn't thought about that. I connect to three Exchanges, two of which are different Office365 accounts. One of those is uncached, so no OST. The other was cached and is an OST filetype. The third account is a webmail exchange at a company and my Outlook is cached with an OST file.
    I've just tried resetting all the uncached as I access them all from an iPad and iPhone as well.

What should I look for here?

Not running Chrome seems to make a difference. Chrome sets up a dozen processes even tho' I am only set to open two tabs at startup. I am using Edge for the moment but don't like it. Without Chrome running, I get less hangs. I've got 8 GB reserved for Parallels and Task Manager reports 54% memory usage.

4. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

I think you need to break things down to a minimum configuration to see if it helps. First off though what is the CPU %usage ? If high is it Outlook consuming it? If so configure Outlook to just one account added, does the problem still occur then? If so what % usage is the CPU using?
    Not sure why Crome if appearing to effect things, again if in doubt see if it has a high CPU usage and try Internet Explorer, this is still installed and available in Program Files even though MS push edge.

One other point I'd make sure you have the latest update to parallels 12 which came out recently.

Regards
    Kevin