Sierra and Windows VMs stop responding

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WalterC3, Sep 26, 2016.

1. WalterC3

WalterC3 Bit poster

After installing Sierra, my Windows VMs (both 10 Anniversary and 7) hangs out (stop responding) from time to time.
    I could not see, yet, exactly what operation it's executing when the problem occurs. And I think that it's not related with some user operation.
    Please, did someone knows what is happening?
    Many thanks

2. JimC2

JimC2 Member

Same here, virtual windows keep hanging, wee spinning wheel, on windows, however the mac side ins't hanging, just the windows . . .

3. Wallabebe

Wallabebe Bit poster

I'm seeing exactly the same thing. My Windows VM is near unusable. I'm struggling to find any acknowledgement of the problem; this is not what I expect after paying for yet another upgrade. I have work to do, and this is making things extremely difficult. Not happy.

4. Wallabebe

Wallabebe Bit poster

Update: the Windows 10 PVM is using extremely high CPU (greater than 100%). I note that an upgrade is being downloaded, but that's not new. A beachball sitting there for 30s periodically is new. Watching and waiting (literally).

5. sgniwder

sgniwder Member

Weird. Activity monitor has that my Windows 10 VM is currently using 228% CPU, but that I'm only using 26% CPU load total. Parallels has been rendering my system unusable as well. I need to force quit Parallels and eventually power it down by holding the power button down. It will not restart after this issue occurs.

6. Wallabebe

Wallabebe Bit poster

I'm seeing the exact same issues; the interesting thing is that I am seeing the beachball even when a VM isn't running. The list of things that I have done for Parallels Support is starting to drive me a little bit crazy. Next step is apparently to downgrade to PD11. I'm surprised that they haven't suggested that the VM is broken, but that's probably next on the list.

7. BernardoB

BernardoB Bit poster

This happens since a couple of weeks after Sierra upgrade. But Parallels 12 should be made for Sierra? It is frustating. I tried to reinstall the agent yesterday, it seemed everything was fixed but this morning not. No huge processor usage, nothing strange but effectively nothing works properly. So, has anyone a suggestion?

8. Guys, please update your Parallels Desktop to the latest build and check the issue.
    Also, please try to reset your VM (actions -reset).

9. If VM takes lot of CPU please try this KB

10. BernardoB

BernardoB Bit poster

Hi, I got the same problem after upgrading to Sierra and Parallels 12. I asked for the assistance of Parallels that yesterday connected in remote to my computer. They cut of everything, that is to say: from 4 up to 2 cpu, all services and service programs, the paging file cut off of 50%, just 512 Mb video ram, all pereformacies of the windows machine were moved from top up to balance. This tech support told to me that 4 cpu are too much for Parallers and that parallels works for "stupid" windows machine and not perfoming ones. Finally I got a vw that did not worked at all and I lost sometime to setup again the machine as the original one. The problem is still here (spinning beach ball) but I can use the VM regularly. The reply of parallels was really absurd and their solution was really not professional. I do not know where is the real problem, sierra or parallels or both of them but surely their solution was and is not ACCEPTABLE AT ALL! What do you think about?

11. DorthyR

DorthyR Bit poster

I have pro 11 with windows and I would like to up date to the new os.? is it a good time to update and how long does it take as i am in the middle of a big job. thank you, I just need to know if there can be any issues.

12. you can backup your VM before the upgrade and then start the upgrade.
    Time of upgrade depends on your VM and Mac resources

13. DorthyR

DorthyR Bit poster

ok how do i back it up.

14. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hi Dorthy,
    You may simply back up the entire virtual machine to another place on your Macintosh HD or to external hard drive. This article will be helpful for you. Let us know if you have any query.

Thanks,
    Swati
    Follow Parallels Support on Twitter: @ParallelsCares