[PD 12] MacOS Sierra and Trackpad Scrolling

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SreechandraD, Sep 20, 2016.

1. SreechandraD

SreechandraD Member

I just installed MacOS Sierra. Now, scrolling in my Win7 VM is erratic. Best way to describe it: 2 finger movement slowly on the trackpad does not cause scrolling to occur. Only when my fingers move at a certain minimum speed does scrolling start.

Scrolling in Mac apps is fine. I have tried to adjust Windows mouse speed settings, mouse configuration in PD (Optimize/Don't Optimize for games, Smooth Scrolling) as well as Boot flag devices.usb.mouse=0. Nothing has worked to fix this issue.

Any Sierra users experiencing this today?

Allber likes this.
  2. SreechandraD

SreechandraD Member

So after installing Sierra on my desktop mac, I'm having the same issue with a traditional wheel mouse. I really need to fling the wheel to get scrolling to occur in Windows. Single line slow scrolling just does not occur.

3. JB705D

JB705D Bit poster

Having the same problem here. I recall similar problems on version 10 - but somehow I fixed the problem there. Now that I upgraded to PD 12 and Sierra OS, I see the same behavior mentioned in this post. I have tried various settings as described and still experience the behavior. I'm hopeful there is a way to resolve this.

4. RogerH5

RogerH5 Bit poster

Having the same problem as well. On Parallels Desktop 12 and upgraded to Mac OS X Sierra. Tried reinstalling parallels tools, no effect. Turning on smooth scrolling seems to make the amount of force required slightly less than before however I would not qualify the scrolling experience under "Smooth Scrolling" as anything near smooth. Still quite worse than it was prior to upgrading to OS X Sierra.

5. JB705D

JB705D Bit poster

Certainly seems like a problem with the Sierra OS upgrade. I hooked up a regular USB mouse with a scroll wheel. In both the Mac and VM, a slow click by click of the scroll wheel on the mouse is not registered as a scroll. You have to move the scroll wheel with a certain speed/acceleration in order to register a movement in the window.

I had an iMac that wasn't upgraded to Sierra yet. Before upgrading, I put the same USB mouse on the mac. On the Mac side, the slow click by click of the scroll wheel would register as very small movements on the screen. After upgrading to Sierra on that same mac, the scroll wheel on the mouse is just like my other mac. You need to exert a certain amount of force/speed/acceleration in order to register an up or down scroll.

Seems like a difference on the Mac OS in how the scroll wheel of a mouse is used...

6. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

Having the same issue here seems like there's another bug that needs addressed. Hopefully this will happen sooner than later because I really don't want to downgrade back to elcapitan and desktop 11

7. Christian6

Christian6 Bit poster

This is likely due to the scroll acceleration feature: by defaut in Sierra the scroll is accelerated and has some sort of "inertia" before it starts actually scrolling.

For the trackpad you might be able to "solve" the issue by deselecting Acceleration under Settings>Accessibility>Mouse & Trackpad>Trackpad Options... and trying to set scrolling to "without inertia", but I didn't test this solution since my problem is with the external mouse.

For a standard mouse this setting is as far as I know not configurable within Sierra, but it's configurable with third-party tools like USB Overdrive which is able to set the scroll behavior from "Accelerated" to "1 Line" and this restores the previous behavior. If your vendor offers a specific settings manager for your device it might work too.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  8. SreechandraD

SreechandraD Member

Thanks for the tips Christian but the inertia setting didn't help.

Although I know that the Sierra upgrade did something to cause this, I have only seen this behavior in VMs, not on the native Mac side. I hope that doesn't mean we need fixes from both Apple and Parallels for this particular issue.

9. JimC2

JimC2 Member

Getting to the stage where parallels 12 freezes when away from computer for a short time and then moving the mouse and has the spinning wheel for ages, restarts needed . . .not a happy chappie. Hope this can be fixed . .

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  10. SreechandraD

SreechandraD Member

So I just downgraded back to Parallels 11 while keeping Sierra. The trackpad scrolling problem is still there. I'm thinking we need a point update for Sierra.

11. WalterS2

WalterS2 Junior Member

Same here. USB Overdrive solved it in Windows. But now on the Mac it's too slow.
    Paralles: Will there be any update from your side? E.g. Firefox scrolls perfectly on Sierra, but horrible in Windows. Any plans to fix it from your side?

12. IanL2

IanL2 Bit poster

I have been having the same problem with Windows 10 under Sierra. Windows 7 doesn't seem to have the problem to the same extent. Scrolling under Windows have never been as sensitive and smooth as it is on Mac, but at the moment it borders on unusable.
    I also have a Logitech ultra thin touch mouse and an Apple TrackPad - both are bluetooth. the TrackPad has the the same issue as the laptop trackpad, but the Logitech mouse works fine. I just usually use the laptop touchpad, so really would like a fix for this issue.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  13. niico100

niico100 Junior Member

same issue here - had a few support calls - hasn't really fixed it. Infact I am having general sluggishness problems with retina. I just tried VMWare Fusion trial - so its not a hardware limitation. This could be graphics driver issues - anyone know?

14. LizT

LizT Bit poster

Just went to my reseller to have my trackpad tested (I was a few days from end of warranty so why not eh!) and it's fine. So yeah, I'm in the same boat as all of you. Browser stuff is fine. It's Word that I'm having a problem with. Same as everyone else - juddering, stopping, no smooth scrolling in short bursts. I'm an editor so this is really a nightmare. A patch is the only thing that'll fix this, my reseller guy says, so that's another month before we get anything. This worries me slightly:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7679256?start=0&tstart=0

Surely they can fix it... :-/

15. IanL2

IanL2 Bit poster

Just for interest, I tried connecting a USB mouse to my Windows 10 VM, and it behaves far better, but not so useful when running in coherence...

16. LizT

LizT Bit poster

I don't use any Windows things, but even if so, I have a weird non-desk setup at home so I can't use a mouse at all. Might do some tests tho! Ta.

17. Allber

Allber Bit poster

I have the same issue since update to Sierra. I use Windows 10 as VM and after update to Sierra got the lagging trackpad. And one more problem occurs - need to click several times in order to move cursor to another position especially in Office 365.
    Are the any updates expected here?

18. LizT

LizT Bit poster

My Mac guy says there should be one in a month or so but really he's just guessing! Who knows whether they'll ever fix it :-/

19. SreechandraD

SreechandraD Member

I installed Sierra 10.12.1 public beta. This is fixed.

20. LizT

LizT Bit poster

How do I get that?