PD12 Messes Up Multiple Monitors

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MobyR, Aug 20, 2016.

1. TraciD

TraciD Bit poster

Same issue here as well. :(
    I guess reverting back to 11 is the only solution for now. Do I get my money back??

2. DonP

DonP Bit poster

Parallels 11 worked great.
    Parallels 12's broken multimon support actually makes it unusable for me due to my workflow, which includes remoting in to multiple machines including one which is itself a multimon setup.

Mac Pro, v 10.11.6, hdmi, nothing fancy, both monitors are seen by Windows, no problems there. The problem is the same as previous poster mentioned: the main windows desktop gets shown on my primary monitor, while the secondary monitor continues to show my mac desktop. Unless I switch spaces - then I can find the other windows desktop.

3. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

I have posted on the other threads about my workaround for this. I recreated the issue and have a decent workaround. Also some users have reported turning off use displays in separate spaces fixes the issue. This is a Mac setting under dashboard. My workaround involves opening your VM in a wind Es then dragging the Windows to your secondary display and then go to full screen. After this your Mac will change to the extended Windows display. Change OS X display setting to not mirror displays then you can swipe to your Mac desktop on the main monitor while your Windows will stay active on the second monitor. Post or send me a message if you need more help. Sorry this is the best I can do. I don't have direct access to the source.

4. KeithSav

KeithSav Bit poster

Same issue here. Just upgraded to 12 from 11. Now my 3 monitors in the VMs are on 3 independent spaces and I can't consolidate. When I upgraded from 10 to 11, I had screwed up monitor positioning issues for over a month until a patch was eventually provided. Whoever QAs multi-monitor compatibility needs to be reassigned. Mac Pro 2009, 20GB RAM, OSX 10.11.6, all 3 monitors running through single ATI Radeon HD 5770 1Gb.

5. DonP

DonP Bit poster

That's probably a wild herring, as I've always disable that terrible feature ;)

6. SreechandraD

SreechandraD Member

I just tried 12.0.2 (41353). No improvement. Each monitor of my virtual machine has its own 3-monitor wide space.

7. GrantI

GrantI Bit poster

Yes, I confirm that this has NOT been resolved with the latest update 12.0.2-41353 !!
    Parallels Support even had the audacity to report that it was resolved in their release notes (see screenshot) ??
    Support if you are still having any more doubts about this then please take a look at the 2 additional screenshots (after updating to 41353) which still shows separate spaces being used for windows from the same VM instance.
    This is a SERIOUS productivity issue for many users making the product unusable until you release a true fix.
    1.png
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

8. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hey guys,
    This issue has been fixed in the latest build of Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build and check how it goes!

9. GrantI

GrantI Bit poster

Yes, the latest build 41353 has been applied and we all here confirm that it has NOT been fixed.
    If you are advising of a build later than 41353 then please advise how to obtain it (currently 41353 is the latest from the link you provided and the auto update facility).
    I repeat 41353 has NOT fixed this issue!!

StuartE likes this.
  10. SreechandraD

SreechandraD Member

I already said 41353 did not fix it Dinesh.

Every year it's the same thing. Some really bad issue soon after the release of a new version. Eventually after months it gets sorted out but I wonder why avid users like me pay and upgrade right away when these issues keep happening. Please test the products thoroughly before release. Don't use us beta testers.

GrantI likes this.
  11. KeithSav

KeithSav Bit poster

Nope, update did not fix the issue in my setup. 3 monitors in 3 spaces, same as before. Uninstalled/installed PDtools, nada.

12. DonP

DonP Bit poster

There is literally no difference in behavior after installing the latest update. The Windows desktop is still getting split between multiple spaces, instead of using both of the monitors in a single space like how the previous version of Parallels worked.

13. BillM4

BillM4 Member

Parallels 11 works great in Sierra... what a cluster

JoelRubio likes this.
  14. TheodoreP1

TheodoreP1 Bit poster

I just installed Parallels Desktop as well and am experiencing the same issue. Below is my system information.

Software Info
    Parallels Version 12.0.2 (41353)
    macOS Sierra 16A323

Hardware Overview
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 16 GB

Display Info
    Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x6720
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-C2960K-152
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.507
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 2560 x 1440
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    L2046NV:
    Resolution: 1050 x 1400 @ 60 Hz
    Rotation: 270
    Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
    DELL 2007FP:
    Resolution: 1200 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
    Rotation: 90
    Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
    Connection Type: DVI or HDMI
    Adapter Firmware Version: 3.35

15. GrantI

GrantI Bit poster

I confirm that this issue HAS NOT BEEN FIXED either for OSX El Capitan or the latest MacOS Sierra.
    Not fixed for any version of OSX/MacOS
    Not fixed for latest Parallels update (41353)​
    Come on Parallels Support ... you have reported above and in your release notes that this issue has been fixed yet we have all confirmed here that it hasn't.
    We need this fixed ASAP !!

16. BillM4

BillM4 Member

I fear you've spent more time providing your system information than Parallels will reading your post...

GrantI likes this.
  17. TheodoreP1

TheodoreP1 Bit poster

Initially I had the setting "Displays have separate spaces" unchecked which caused each monitor to have a separate space with the other two monitors being black in Parallels 12. This is how my system was setup for Parallels 10 and there it would allow me to swipe once between spaces with each VM taking up all three monitors. The best work around I have found was to check this setting (after which you need to re-login). By doing this I am now able to use all three monitors for my VM however I now need to swipe each monitor to change its space instead of just doing it once for all three monitors. This is not ideal but is workable until a better solution comes along.

Attached Files:

Macgadget likes this.
  18. Macgadget

Macgadget Bit poster

This worked for me on my MBPro and external monitor- thx! No swiping required for me (with a single monitor) just works like it used to.

19. NicholasC1

NicholasC1 Junior Member

Bumping this thread in order to emphasize the severity of this issue... This workaround while may work for others, is not an option for me with the way I use my Mac.

Thanks.

20. Ken5

Ken5 Junior Member

This is very frustrating. If this isn't fixed then PD11 will be the last version that I will use and I would think there will be many feeling the same? Come on Parallels give us some information on this and at the very least acknowledge the issue.