Windows 10 update performance warning daily annoyance - still happening

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JulianGall, May 22, 2016.

1. JulianGall

JulianGall Bit poster

There was a thread about this earlier in the year but the message still pops up - Windows update, performance may be affected while installing updates.
    This is incredibly annoying because the message appears over the top of things I need to read or click. If I click the message, I get taken to my Windows desktop, which runs on a different OSX "Space".
    What is the purpose of this message? Presumably on any Windows machine performance may be affected by updates installing, but Windows doesn't nag you about all the time. Of course, performance isn't affected for all practical purposes, which makes the message even more irritating.

2. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hey @JulianGall,
    To investigate further, please share a screenshot of the issue with an exact error message?

3. JulianGall

JulianGall Bit poster

Screen grab attached. You can see how it appears over my browser window.
    Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 20.45.13 copy.png

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, every new update has the potential of slowing down your computer. A new update will tend to put hardware to work a little bit more but the performance hits are usually minimal. Updates are also likely to turn on new features or processes that were not enabled before. Some of the new features might not exactly be useful to you and they will be decreasing security and performance.

When you install Windows updates new files will be added on your hard drive so you will be losing disk space on the drive where your OS is installed. The operating system needs plenty of free space to work at top speed and when you hinder that you will see the consequences in a lower computer speed. One way to prevent this is to review the updates before installing them and figuring out if they are too big or if you really need them.

5. JulianGall

JulianGall Bit poster

1. "every new update has the potential of slowing down your computer". No it doesn't. Most updates are just bug fixes and improvements to security. Some updates actually improve performance.
    2. "performance hits are usually minimal". Ok, so why tell me about them several times a week?
    3. "Updates are also likely to turn on new features or processes that were not enabled before". Absolutely not true. If that was the case I'd have twice as many "features or processes" enabled as a few months ago. This plainly doesn't happen with Windows. There are rarely new features until a major version upgrade.
    4. "Some of the new features might not exactly be useful to you and they will be decreasing security and performance". You are saying that Microsoft deliberately rolls out useless new features that decrease security. That is ridiculous.
    5. "You will be losing disk space on the drive where your OS is installed. The operating system needs plenty of free space to work at top speed and when you hinder that you will see the consequences in a lower computer speed". Using up disk space, unless the disk is nearly full, does not slow down the computer.
    6. "One way to prevent this is to review the updates before installing them and figuring out if they are too big or if you really need them". Having updates installed automatically has been one of the major ways in which security vulnerabilities get patched. I can't imagine anyone working for Parallels is asked to review Windows updates before installing them.

I am shocked to see so many obvious errors in a reply from Parallels to my question. Windows updates are a normal part of running a Windows machine. Are there occasional problems with them? Sometimes, but mostly not. Any number of tasks may be occurring on my Windows VM that could affect the performance of my Mac, as could any number of tasks running on the Mac itself. My question is why do we need this intrusive message for just one of these tasks (Windows updates), especially when performance is not usually affected in practice? How do I turn it off?

6. Nick7

Nick7 Bit poster

Hello! I have the same question. How do I turn this injurious messages off?

7. Nick7

Nick7 Bit poster

I've find the solution. You can disable notifications in System preferences -> Notifications -> Paralles Desktop. It will disable ALL notifications from Paralles Desktop. In my case it's not a problem.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Nick7, tThank you for sharing the solution with us, which we will try in our lab as well. We really appreciate your active participation and would like to see them in the future. Feel free to reach out to us any time.

9. ScottM7

ScottM7 Bit poster

I'm trying this, but I'm skeptical as the only notice I had enabled was "badge icons". But the nag isn't a badge icon. Hope it works, because this is really one of the silliest behaviors I've ever encountered (and I regularly use software made by Microsoft, so the bar is high).